The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Question

It is becoming fashionable in Virginia high school ball for players to wear wrist sweat bands around their biceps. Can anyone find any rules support for whether that is legal or illegal?

Also, I had a female player in a game last night who had small, colored plastic beads in her relative short hair. She also pulled these strands of hair tightly together into a small pony tail that did not swing around. Anyone care to opine whether these very small beads are legal or illegal?
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Talking I wouldn't SWEAT the bicep bands...

...but the beads are definitely jewelry.

"you don't have to take them out...but you can't play with them in...your choice"
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

If she wants to wear the beads she can't play in a game I'm responsible for.

The wristbands are a different matter. I have worked with some that insist that all equipment be worn properly. In this case the wristband will be worn on the wrist. I have also heard some argue that wearing the bicep-band is a sort of intimidation thing. Personnally, as long as it is a cloth type band, I will not make an issue out of this.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Two things:

1) In our association meeting last week, we heard about something called, "Finger Sweatbands?" which are just what they sound like, and are used to give added grip. I guess they are in the process of becoming illegal. I haven't seen these yet here, but it sounds interesting. Another little detail to keep track of.

2)Had a game the other night where one of the players had the legal ponytail holders in her hair, the elastic ones with the one little metal clip that holds the elastic together. The problem was that she had about twenty of them in and they weren't in tight against the scalp, but rather each was at the end of a braid! At the time, I said, "Coach, these are technically legal, but I'd advise you not to let her wear them in the future. It could be her eye as easily as an opponent's that gets scratched." Thinking back, I should have applied 2-3 and just said, "Not in my game!" Live and learn.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Two things:

2)Had a game the other night where one of the players had the legal ponytail holders in her hair, the elastic ones with the one little metal clip that holds the elastic together.
Thanks for posting the above. In a few pregames we have gone back and forth on this one. Do you know of anything in print that says it is legal?

If I see the metal I tell the girl to turn it under if it is against the head. I have told a few to remove the holder(s) when they were at the end of a ponytail or pigtails.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RecRef
[B]
Quote:
Thanks for posting the above. In a few pregames we have gone back and forth on this one. Do you know of anything in print that says it is legal?

If I see the metal I tell the girl to turn it under if it is against the head. I have told a few to remove the holder(s) when they were at the end of a ponytail or pigtails.
I'm not sure of anything in print. I know our assignor, and our class teachers have said that these kinds of bands are legal. But no one has ever distinguished between the ponytail where the band is against the scalp, and the braid where the band is out at the end swinging around. Next time, I'm not allowing it, period. After posting last night, I thought about this some more and I realized why I allowed it in that one game, and I'm a little ashamed of myself. Next tiem, rational thought prevails!!
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... The problem... It could be her eye as easily as an opponent's that gets scratched."
I would emphasize it could be "ANY of her teammates, your players coach! Coach, they have to go or she doesn't play."
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 05:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Had a game the other night where one of the players had the legal ponytail holders in her hair, the elastic ones with the one little metal clip that holds the elastic together. The problem was that she had about twenty of them in and they weren't in tight against the scalp, but rather each was at the end of a braid! At the time, I said, "Coach, these are technically legal, but I'd advise you not to let her wear them in the future. It could be her eye as easily as an opponent's that gets scratched." Thinking back, I should have applied 2-3 and just said, "Not in my game!" Live and learn.
Rainmaker,
Are you talking about the bands that are thin and about the size of a rubberband, but have a small crimped piece of metal on it to form the loop?
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Had a game the other night where one of the players had the legal ponytail holders in her hair, the elastic ones with the one little metal clip that holds the elastic together. The problem was that she had about twenty of them in and they weren't in tight against the scalp, but rather each was at the end of a braid! At the time, I said, "Coach, these are technically legal, but I'd advise you not to let her wear them in the future. It could be her eye as easily as an opponent's that gets scratched." Thinking back, I should have applied 2-3 and just said, "Not in my game!" Live and learn.
Rainmaker,
Are you talking about the bands that are thin and about the size of a rubberband, but have a small crimped piece of metal on it to form the loop?
Not speaking for Rainmaker, that is exactly what I asked about in my post to her.