The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

i have a situation. i am 19 years old, and started officiating at age 14, doing CYO basketball. after 3 years, i got my license at 17, and am currently working my 3rd year as a high school official. i did my first varsity game last year in michigan, and am told by a couple of assignors to take the varsity test in order to get some varsity games next year. well, heres where my problem comes in at. i went to a camp last summer which was run by a big ten official, and he told me that i was good, but i was too young to move up anytime soon. i got the vibe that because of my age, i wont be able to move up until i reach a certain age. i am ambitious to reach the D1 level, whenever my time may be. i was wondering if there have been some more experienced officials who are out there who have gone through the same thing. i would like to get out to another camp to get myself exposed. i am from Toledo, Ohio and was wanting to know if there are summer camps in the Ohio, Indiana, Pennslyvania, Michigan area. i would greatly appreciate any words if anyone of you could help me out. THanks!.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Josh,

I'm not exactly clear what your immediate goals/expectations are. You are clearly too young to work college ball at any level. You're only 19 and college players can be 23 years old. That's just not going to be acceptable to any assignor or coach that I know of.

However, especially given your experience, you're probably not too young to work HS. Two years of experience is good, but I would not expect you to be ready for varsity in such a short time. However, if your assignor thinks you're ready to do some varsity, then I'd have to trust his judgment.

If the Big 10 official at your camp was talking about moving up to college, then he is absolutely right. But if he's talking about HS, I would let my assignors make that decision rather than the observer.

As far as other camps you might attend. The only one I know of in PA is Mickey Crowley's 5-Star Camp. Dan, Butch (Love2Ref), and I all attended that one last year. It's great for instruction and Mickey's a great guy and straight-shooter.

I hope some of my ramblings are helpful. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Josh,

I'm not exactly clear what your immediate goals/expectations are. You are clearly too young to work college ball at any level. You're only 19 and college players can be 23 years old. That's just not going to be acceptable to any assignor or coach that I know of.

However, especially given your experience, you're probably not too young to work HS. Two years of experience is good, but I would not expect you to be ready for varsity in such a short time. However, if your assignor thinks you're ready to do some varsity, then I'd have to trust his judgment.

If the Big 10 official at your camp was talking about moving up to college, then he is absolutely right. But if he's talking about HS, I would let my assignors make that decision rather than the observer.

As far as other camps you might attend. The only one I know of in PA is Mickey Crowley's 5-Star Camp. Dan, Butch (Love2Ref), and I all attended that one last year. It's great for instruction and Mickey's a great guy and straight-shooter.

I hope some of my ramblings are helpful. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Chuck
chuck, i appreciate your reply. actually some day, i would love to move up and do college ball, but i know thats not for me RIGHT NOW. i actually have to get some experience at the varsity level first before anything. but thing that got me is that the big 10 official told me is that i wont be ready until im 25. i think that a load of bull. im sure there exceptions to that. im very eager to learn the game more each day im out there, and thats why i belong to this forum. but i think its possible that i could be ready before then. i dont think i should be wearing a sign bearing, "too young, come back in 2008" im not saying i will be ready before then, but i think its unfair to make that judgement just over the course of seeing me over a weekend. but i feel next season, that i will be ready to do some varsity, but my plans are to have a full varsity schedule of 25+ games by 2005. i hope that not shooting to high for the stars...
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Josh,

It sounds like your on the right track. Remember , he's only one person. You are right to be searching for other camps. Do you have a mentor? Before next season begins, work with your mentor and assignors to work scrimmages for high schools in your area. Have someone video you. Keep a journal of every game with approximately 5 things you did well and five things you need to work on. I am a lot older than you so I may never make D1 because I started too late, so you're in a better position than me. This is my second year and I worked a full varsity schedule, so there are exceptions to the rule. Keep working and don't let the opinion of others hold you back.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
Josh,

It sounds like your on the right track. Remember , he's only one person. You are right to be searching for other camps. Do you have a mentor? Before next season begins, work with your mentor and assignors to work scrimmages for high schools in your area. Have someone video you. Keep a journal of every game with approximately 5 things you did well and five things you need to work on. I am a lot older than you so I may never make D1 because I started too late, so you're in a better position than me. This is my second year and I worked a full varsity schedule, so there are exceptions to the rule. Keep working and don't let the opinion of others hold you back.
thanks i appreciate that. i do have a mentor that i am working with. we talk about every game that we have done. Hes a varsity official himself and has vowed to help me. theres nothing that makes you feel better than someone who is willing to lend a helping hand. i think hes one of the top 10 officials in our 200+ officials association. i am determined not to let anything hold me back other than myself.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

i was wanting to know if Joe DeRosela's ( i think thats how you spell his last name) or Phil Bova's or Eric Harmons camp is good to go to for my situation in trying to get exposed to some of these assignors and commisioners?