The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS:

Need clarification....

According to 8-1-1b, (Resuming play after a TO) the FT count shall begin and either or both teams may be charged with a violation.

True or false:
1. If the shooter is not in the semi-cirle (of the FT area) when the ball is placed at the shooter's disposal by the administering official a violation is called on the shooter when s/he does enter the FT area?

2. Unless non-shooting team does not have players in the bottom blocks, then it is a double violation.

3. Another consideration would be if a count of 10 is reached before the shooter releases the shot and non-shooting team does not have players in the bottom blocks, correct?
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

#1 CB 8.1.1 Situation B Comment: "If the free throw shooter is not in the semicircle when the administering official is ready, a technical foul is charged to the free thrower."

If he is in the semi-circle but not paying attention, (listening to his coach etc.) I think you place the ball on the floor in the semi-circle and begin the 10 second count. If he turns and kicks it out....?

#2 From what I have gathered from our discussion in this forum, the shooter shoots till he misses if the opponents won't occupy the bottom blocks. If neither team is there? I've got to wonder if I'm missing something?

#3 10 sec count and no opponents - double violation, loss of shot.

These seem like far fetched scenarios and not that I am unsure about my answers but I pray they never happen to any official.

Just my initial shot at these scenarios. Someone will straighten us out. They always do.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
#1 CB 8.1.1 Situation B Comment: "If the free throw shooter is not in the semicircle when the administering official is ready, a technical foul is charged to the free thrower."
Not true. This doesn't apply during resuming play situations. The entire comment reads:

Since this situation is not following a time-out or intermission, the resuming-of-play procedure shall not be used. If the free thrower is not in the semicircle when the administering official is ready, a technical foul is charged to the free thrower. If the free thrower is in the semicircle, but does not accept the ball, it shall be placed on the floor and the count started. (10-1-5c; 10-3-7c)

willie's situation was after a TO. It's a violation when the shooter steps in the semi-circle.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

willie's situation was after a TO. It's a violation when the shooter steps in the semi-circle.
and the casebook reference is 9.1.7
Therefore, willie, the answer to your post is true, true, true.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

If he is in the semi-circle but not paying attention, (listening to his coach etc.) I think you place the ball on the floor in the semi-circle and begin the 10 second count. If he turns and kicks it out....?

#2 From what I have gathered from our discussion in this forum, the shooter shoots till he misses if the opponents won't occupy the bottom blocks. If neither team is there? I've got to wonder if I'm missing something?

Actually this is a T after the first violation. It's in the CB, but I am at work and don't have it with me.

My two sense!