The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I referee grade school games, 3rd through 6th, and have two questions. In relation to the 3 second rule, many times players at this age (especially 3rd graders) will enter the lane and shoot the ball but not hit the rim. On numerous occasions another player on their team will catch the ball (or they will catch it themselves) and they will continue to shoot in this manner. Does the 3-second count restart every time they shoot the ball or does it have to hit the rim for the count to restart? Also, can the player who shot the ball retrieve it himself (as long as it was a valid shot attempt) even though it did not hit the rim or is this a traveling violation? Until recently, I thought this was a traveling violation. However, a local high school coach in our area told me as long as it is a valid shot attempt that the shooting player can retrieve the ball even if it does not hit anything.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Welcome to the board!

Quote:
Originally posted by aview
Does the 3-second count restart every time they shoot the ball or does it have to hit the rim for the count to restart?
Team control ends during a try. The 3-second count only applies when there is team control. Therefore, the 3-second count is discontinued during a try. If the offensive team then secures the rebound, you may start a new 3-second count.

Quote:
Also, can the player who shot the ball retrieve it himself (as long as it was a valid shot attempt) even though it did not hit the rim or is this a traveling violation?
Cha-ching!! Player and team control both end during a try. Therefore, the player may rebound his own airball, as long as the official deems it a try.

Quote:
a local high school coach in our area told me as long as it is a valid shot attempt that the shooting player can retrieve the ball even if it does not hit anything.
Will miracles never cease?!?!? Maybe he reads our board

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 08:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Does the 3-second count restart every time they shoot the ball or does it have to hit the rim for the count to restart?

Also, can the player who shot the ball retrieve it himself (as long as it was a valid shot attempt) even though it did not hit the rim or is this a traveling violation?
aview,

Welcome to the forum.

During a shot, there is no team control, so each try ends the 3-second count.
Just like the coach said, if you judge that there was a try and it misses the rim, the shooter may legally get the ball and dribble, shoot, pass, pivot or call time-out.
mick
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

my understanding of the rule

is that if a player makes a shot attempt (in your estimation), regardless of whether it hits rim or not, then the 3-second count stops, and the player may grab his/her own rebound without violation.

In my short tenure as an official, this seems to be the most common misunderstanding that coaches and fans/parents have. Hundreds of times i have heard them yell "3-seconds" while players are scrambling for a rebound after a shot attempt. whenever i can, i try to let the coach know the rule (and about a minute or 2 later i hear him yell '3-seconds' again... ha ha. as far as the traveling goes, i have heard some complain of traveling after an 'airball', but most seem to understand that part of the rule.

hope that helps. in my youth leagues, the lower levels have a '5-second' count instead of 3-seconds.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Gang,

Thanks for the quick (and numerous) responses. There is definitely consensus on how this rule plays out. For the longest time I have always thought that a player catching their own shot was a traveling violation. Oh well, you learn something new every day! I can't thank you guys enough! This is a great forum.

aview
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
a local high school coach in our area told me as long as it is a valid shot attempt that the shooting player can retrieve the ball even if it does not hit anything.
Will miracles never cease?!?!? Maybe he reads our board

Chuck [/B]
It wasn't me!!!
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Gang,

For the longest time I have always thought that a player catching their own shot was a traveling violation. aview
Only in the NBA is this true.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: my understanding of the rule

Quote:
Originally posted by jtarantine
In my short tenure as an official, this seems to be the most common misunderstanding that coaches and fans/parents have.
You learn quick! Coaches will yell "3-seconds!! 4...5..." even when no one from either team is in the key. They yell it on rebounds, shots, even when their own team has the ball and the defender is in the key "too long". They yell it when their player comes down with the rebound and turns to try to head upcourt against a press. I am constantly amazed at the amount of misunderstanding about 3 seconds.