The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Camron's post that you quoted made no mention of failing to properly inform the coach that he was out of T-O's so you are adding a bunch of kool-aid to water.

And notice, I said SUPERVISOR and you said CLINICIAN. Supervisor specifically mentioned that in a real game he would have tape sent to him the next day showing the official ignored the time-out request.
It makes water taste better! Why do I envision a pic being posted soon? Hey Kool-Aid!!

I understand the difference in positions... the official could've simply said he didn't "hear" the request. I dont see how a tape can validate an officials hearing or lack there of

In camp settings its better to say 'I didn't see/hear it" instead of "I passed because."
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 04:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
It makes water taste better! Why do I envision a pic being posted soon? Hey Kool-Aid!!

I understand the difference in positions... the official could've simply said he didn't "hear" the request. I dont see how a tape can validate an officials hearing or lack there of

In camp settings its better to say 'I didn't see/hear it" instead of "I passed because."
Hmmm. There are integrity issues at play here. Thin ice, at the least.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Just like saving a foul or putting a foul on the defender with the least amount of fouls when more than one is at the scene of the crime. Whats viewed as good game management by some can be viewed as integrity issues by others.

Know who you're working for as well as their isms & expectations!
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just like saving a foul or putting a foul on the defender with the least amount of fouls when more than one is at the scene of the crime. Whats viewed as good game management by some can be viewed as integrity issues by others.

It is quite different to choose which foul or infraction to penalize when you have a choice vs. making something up or doing nothing when it is clear that something occurred that should be penalized.

Now, back to my question....when the ball is dead and the clock is not running, exactly what unfair advantage is the current rule penalizing when an excess timeout is requested. Assume that the request is unambiguous and is not complicated by other factors.....i.e., you've just finished reporting a foul and the coach both visually and verbally makes the timeout request where everyone in the gym can see it. You start to report the timeout and the table informs you that the team has no timeouts remaining. Why not change the rule to just resume play unless the coach wants the timeout in exchange for a T. A T for that seems like overkill.

However, if the ball is live or the clock is running, the whistle that comes in response to the request changes the game. It stops the clock or it gets the team out of a precarious situation. That can certainly be an advantage.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 03:36am.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 06:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I'm not really talking about the action in itself (ignoring the TO request or giving the foul to one defender over another). I'm talking about lying about why.

I've been "instructed" by senior officials down here to throw a bone to the losing team in blow outs. Close OOB calls, borderline fouls, borderline travels, thrower stepping over the line following a made basket. But I wouldn't claim to have not seen them. If anything, "You're right, coach, I missed it." Most coaches here expect it, though. As long as you're not letting the game get too physical, they're ok with it.

Knowing full well you heard it yet telling an evaluator you didn't hear it, however, is something I couldn't do. It would be better, IMO, and more honest, to simply say you'd been instructed previously to ignore it in those situations.

And I would only give a defender a foul if he actually made contact. If B5 has 4 fouls and B1 has none, I'm not giving it to B1 unless he actually made contact.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 08:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

This play was in the last 20 seconds of the game and happened right in front of the bench of the coach who was requesting the time-out. The time-out request was visible enough for the supervisor ask about it so it would have been visible on tape.