Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Clinicians say

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
I was trying to agree with you with my post, but I guess I wasn't totally clear, so

I agree with Chuck!
I was just about to agree with your agreement. Until. . .

Quote:
Or should I say Mr. Chuck
GRRRRRRRRR!!

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
That signal should never, ever be used. Hence it's absense from the back of the rule book.As for selling an out of bounds call, that's easy. Strong whistle, strong direction signal, strong voice. If there's any doubt left in anyone's minds as to what happen after you sell that call, send them to the Stevie Wonder school of officiating.

TR
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow My biggest problem..

I started basketball 4 years after baseball...my biggest problem when I started hoops was signaling fouls-I still get flack for not sticking my arm up high enough-I have that whole bent elbow issue, but hey, it's what they do in the NBA!
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 04:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by moose69
That signal should never, ever be used. Hence it's absense from the back of the rule book.As for selling an out of bounds call, that's easy. Strong whistle, strong direction signal, strong voice. If there's any doubt left in anyone's minds as to what happen after you sell that call, send them to the Stevie Wonder school of officiating.

TR
I have to disagree. Just because the NF does not put a mechanic in a book or not, does not mean it has no place. I agree that it is not an actual mechanic, but it can be used during specific situation. NF has the bird dog in the book for all fouls, how many of us use this all the time on all fouls? Do you bird dog during a T? It is in the book.

I am all for the "actual" mechanics to be used, but if you are selling a call or calling something that is not obvious, I find nothing wrong to adding to the mechanics to clarify what you saw. I agree you are not going to change anyone's mind, but you might clarify what you see. One of the reasons there is not the confusion at the other levels. The NF needs to add or subscribe to other levels to some extent. Officials do not just do one level. Sorry, but it is true.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think adding personal mechanics helps sell the call. It only works if everyone knows what the mechanic means. I've seen this foul-tip signal used for blocked shots, OOB plays, rebounds, and even a jump ball. I think it's almost a form of taunting when the official gives this arcane sign then starts pointing at the violator.

Go with the strong whistle, verbal color and point. Works every time.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

This happened to me last fall and I'm still hearing about it. I only officiate basketball because of my job situation that is the only time I have free time. Anyway, my BB partners officiate the J.V. and Jr. Hi. football games at the local school. They asked me to help out and since it was October, I had free time. Sure enough the first call was on a sweep and there was a face mask down field. I threw my flag and immediately blew the whistle as I would if there was a foul. I don't think I raised a fist or pointed at the player. Luckily, the player did get tackled as I blew my whistle or I would have really felt stupid. We made something up like the player stepped out of bounds. I didn't make that same mistake again.