The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Remember those things from the World Series in Anaheim? Well, I had them at my game tonight. One guy in the stands started banging them when the visitors were shooting FTs. In the last NCAA bulletin, it was made clear that these fall under the "artificial noisemaker" rule, like cowbells. But this is the first time I've ever had to deal with them personally. In my naivety, I simply went to the fan and said, "I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to use artificial noisemakers" and he stopped. Would anybody have handled this any differently? I could've gone to the AD (she was at the game), but that would've made a bigger deal of it. Just seeking out thoughts.

By the way, they really live up to their name!!

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:16pm
In Memoriam

We don't go by thoughts! We go by rules!

Geeze,that was unbearably snotty.I'm proud of myself!

Chuck-Rule 1-18 covers it in FED.Not sure about NCAA,but you'll know that one(or how the conference wants it called).Casebook play 1.18SITUATION(c) covers it well-i.e. have a public address announcement made.Alternatively,I recommend that you stand on a chair at center and make the announcement yourself.

PS-you can also assess a T to the team supporters if they persist,if you happen to lose your mind completely.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

PS-you can also assess a T to the team supporters if they persist,if you happen to lose your mind completely.
JR...
Which rule supports a decision to assess a T to the team supporters? The reason I ask is... 1. If there is one, I am uninformed (not the first time); 2. Making that statement implies there is such a rule; and many of our new officials might be misled.

[Edited by williebfree on Jan 22nd, 2003 at 10:41 PM]
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:31pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Remember those things from the World Series in Anaheim? Well, I had them at my game tonight. One guy in the stands started banging them when the visitors were shooting FTs. In the last NCAA bulletin, it was made clear that these fall under the "artificial noisemaker" rule, like cowbells. But this is the first time I've ever had to deal with them personally. In my naivety, I simply went to the fan and said, "I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to use artificial noisemakers" and he stopped. Would anybody have handled this any differently? I could've gone to the AD (she was at the game), but that would've made a bigger deal of it. Just seeking out thoughts.

Chuck

I think that you got away with one tonight Chuck. You must have been very polite and a real smooth talker to convince him to stop. Have you considered becoming an used car salesman.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 12:11am
We don't rent pigs

[QUOTE]Originally posted by williebfree
JR...
Which rule supports a decision to assess a T to the team supporters? The reason I ask is... 1. If there is one, I am uninformed (not the first time); 2. Making that statement implies there is such a rule; and many of our new officials might be misled.

That would be 2-8-1. Has anyone ever seen a T called called on a team's "supporters"? If you recall a thread I posted here earlier in the season about the unbearable JH
principal, even knowing that he was a school official I couldn't see whacking him as long as he was in the stands. I personally think that as long as the troublemaker is just another face in the crowd, you should either ignore him or kick him out of the gym. When this same person is sitting on the team bench I think that changes everything. Assistant coach, helpful parent, your uncle from out of town, whoever, if he's sitting on your bench he shouldn't be yelling "Unbelievable!" and making choking signs.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Ah yes,,,

2-8-1 ..... The Officials shall ... Art 1. ... Penalize unsporting conduct by any player, coach, substitute, team attendent or follower.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. However, one must use extreeme caution when considering this option for a "follower".

Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 05:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Quote:

JR...
Willie,the Casebook play(1.18.SITc)that I quoted has the following sentence in it--"In all situations,if the problem continues it may result in a technical foul being assessed to the team supporter(s)."

I don't mislead new officials! I go by rules!
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Chuck
I had a game earlier in the year where a few fans of the opponents had some kazoo-like things. None of the crew noticed them at all but during a timeout in the first half a woman from game management asked me if they were allowed. I told her no & she confiscated them. Tough gal! Anyway, I think I would have asked game management, be it the AD, security or head coach. You're never sure how people will react when told "you can't do that", regardless of how polite you are. That goes double when you're wearing the stripes.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

If it were ONE unruly fan, I would notify game management to talk to them. If they persist I would have them removed. If, as in the case with the kazoo's it were a number of fans in the crowd, I would ask for a public address announcement to be made.

I would only issue a "T" in an extreem case. Only after attempting to resolve the problem in every other way available. Giving the team a "T" for the conduct of a supporter just makes the official look like the bad guy. If, as a last resort it needs to be done, well that's what the rule is there for.

Does anybody remember when Bobby Knight made that P/A in a simmilar situation...I think they were throwing things onto the floor...?
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
PA announcement for one fan seems like overkill to me. I probably should've gone to the AD and asked her to handle it. Thanks for the comments.

Chuck
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chuck-Rule 1-18 covers it in FED.Not sure about NCAA,but you'll know that one
It's covered in the NCAA bulletin issued just prior to the start of the season.

I think this one went to all the conferences as well.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Has anyone ever seen a T called called on a team's "supporters"?

In my mind, I've called a few!!!
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 11:02am
Esteemed Participant

Watched a buddy call a T on the fans a couple weeks ago in a HS Varsity boys game...some idiot kids had an air horn, and blew it while visiting team was shooting free throws...R went to AD and talked to her, and she (I could hear the conversation) told him to "Just do your job. Quit worrying about the fans." He then walked across the court to home coach and talked with him, and coach got on microphone and made announcement to stop doing it...that was in 2nd qtr... in third qtr., they blew the thing again, and R talked to coach, and coach made another announcement, this time saying it would cost them a T...sure enough, they blew it on the very next free throw, so the T was called... home coach left his box, went around the court to where AD was standing, and had a very heated "discussion" with her for about 45 seconds (I heard it, but can't print it)..she then went up in stands and confiscated the stupid thing...and home team won by 3...
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 11:04am
Whack! Get Out!!!

I remember hearing the story of one NCAA D1 coach that made a plea to the fans not to throw anything onto the court. It was something along the lines of...

Quote:
"Please do not throw any items on to the court — regardless of how bad the officiating is."
WHACK!
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
I remember hearing the story of one NCAA D1 coach that made a plea to the fans not to throw anything onto the court. It was something along the lines of...

Quote:
"Please do not throw any items on to the court — regardless of how bad the officiating is."
WHACK!
LOL

Yeah somethin like that.