The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Had a tight game last evening and learned a couple very important lessons.

As lead on the table side of the court, I called a player control foul where the defender had very good solid position but turned at the last second to protect herself from the impending crash. The offensive coach, who's 25 feet away, went nuts. MY PARTNER, from the other side of the court, was there with the coach disucssing the call and emphasizing that it was the correct call IN LESS THAN A SECOND. Absolutely amazing! Fantastic job partner. I will strive to do the same for my partners in future games.

Second lesson learned was a mistake I made. Early in the game both teams had messed with the ball after they had made a basket (only slight stuff). So in my preventive officiating manner I felt I should talk with the players; during a freethrow situation, in the 1st quarter, while my partner is reporting the foul, I stated to all the players that both teams have done this and from here on out, just leave the ball alone after you make a shot. Don't touch it. Let the other team collect the ball on their own without your help. No problems.

Guess what in the 4th quarter, 2 point game, 2 minutes left, visiting team catches the ball as it comes out of the net and pushes it out of bounds (very minor). Partner blows his whistle. I'm not sure whether he was going to warn one team or just stop the clock so the oter team could get the ball but the home team coach immediately recognizes "You gotta give em a T. (pointing at me) He's already talked to them. That's a T." Visting coach not to be out done says "No way. You've got tell me. You can't T us because you haven't told me they were doing it."

Partner comes to me. "Yes, I talked with them.... but I didn't put it in the book. I talked to both teams at the same time during a free throw but didn't come over to the table and put a record of the warnings in the book." After a short discussion we decided that we cannot impose a T. I now place a warning for both teams in the scorebook - like it was going to make a difference now.

My mistake. I didn't inform my partner of my discussion and I didn't put my warning in the book. Could have been a disaster. Home team won by 5 without the assitance of a T.

A good lesson and a don't-make-the-same-mistake-that-I-did lesson.

Hope this helps you too. Tony
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

So what if the defensive player turned? That is still a player control foul. The defensive player can turn or put up his or her hands to absorb the impact. Too many people blow this call all the time. Watch the defense, if defense has legal guarding position, D can move to maintain it also.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

It was a minor catch the ball, you tried talking with the players.... I think you tried to prevent this.

Tell the coach who wants a T that no delay warning was issued, and we're playing. Pretty simple..

Talking to players and issuing a delay warning are two different things. A delay warning should be the same as anyother call. If it is after a basket and someone is messing with the ball. I blow the whistle, report a delay of game warning to the team. Everybody in the gym should know. If you did not do that there ain't no T.

You did not need to discuss with partner and you did not need to put it in the book. I've told players to leave ball alone after a shot when it is minor but could lead to something more....
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Whistleblower, that's the point.

I made the right call and the coach went nuts saying that it was the wrong call because the player turned to absorb the collision. My Partner defended my call and explained to the coach that the defender does not need to stand there like a post and get a black eye before we will call the PC foul. I made the right call and my partner was fantastic for so quickly explaining it and keeping the coach from receiving a T.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Once legal guarding position has been established, defensive player may turn/duck to absorb impending blow.
I don't understand this "putting warning in book" thingamabob.
Could you please explain?
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Tony,

I don't think you should beat yourself up for this situation. Everytime you take the whistle out of your mouth and talk to the players, doesn't mean you will automatically call it the next time it happens. The coach was just being a coach and shouldn't have even bullied you into a warning in the book if you didn't think it was warranted. I don't think that warning both teams was the right thing to do here. If you were to give a warning it should have only been to the offending team. Keep talking to the players as it will prevent way more things from happening that are far worse than this. As for the pc foul, you nailed this one. I'm waiting to call one where the defender jumps straight up and the player makes contact with the arms of the defender. Maybe my partner will be able to explain that pc foul to the coach in 1 second? Most coaches claim they know the verticality rule, but I don't think they want it applied in this sitch. I'm watching for this and I'll post it when it happens. Might be rarer than a multiple foul.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Once legal guarding position has been established, defensive player may turn/duck to absorb impending blow.
I don't understand this "putting warning in book" thingamabob.
Could you please explain?
Downtown... is stating that he regrets not reporting to the scorer the delay of game warning, 4-46-3, when it happened early in the game (for interfering with the ball following a goal).
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Downtowm, I'm sorry. I mis-read your post. Great call on the PC foul!!!