The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 03:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by moose69
And yes rainmaker, a technicial foul cannot be the result of contact during a live ball situatuion,only dead ball contact can be penalized with a T.
Dead ball contact can also be penalized with a personal foul.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ron
I had to deal with a similar situation earlier this season. In the 4th quarter of a very intense, sometimes chippy, game (score was close), one player intentionally pushed another to the floor as the ball was being advanced up the floor after a made basket. I'm sure your thought process was about the same as mine, in that you don't have time to think "hmmmm, intentional or flagrant?". You just make your call. In my case, my call was intentional, and from the sound of your situation, I would have made the same call.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Flagrant

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
I'd say it is a personal flagrant based on the definition of a flagrant foul. My rule book is in the car so I can't quote it, but I believe a flagrant foul is for excessive contact and includes striking an opponent. Since you didn't view it as flagrant, I'd have to say the only other option is intentional because it is a live ball and the player was not playing the ball. Really doesn't matter between the 2 as the penalty is the same.

Mregor
Actually it could matter...a flagrant foul carries with it the disqualification of the perpetrator.

Sven
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
How - other than contact by or on an airborne shooter?
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
So I guess intentional would be the best call.

But then, on the other hand, why not call it unsporting? I guess a T just feels more like something people will understand. It's so hard to talk to a coach about an intentional.
If it's during a live ball, it's not a T.
So no contact foul is a T during a live ball?
Contact during a live ball - Personal
Contact during dead ball - Technical
No contact during a live ball - Violation, if it meets the guidelines.
No contact during a dead ball - Possible T if you consider the incident unsporting. Otherwise, nothing.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 04:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
How - other than contact by or on an airborne shooter?
That was my point.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Flagrant

Quote:
Originally posted by Sven
Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
I'd say it is a personal flagrant based on the definition of a flagrant foul. My rule book is in the car so I can't quote it, but I believe a flagrant foul is for excessive contact and includes striking an opponent. Since you didn't view it as flagrant, I'd have to say the only other option is intentional because it is a live ball and the player was not playing the ball. Really doesn't matter between the 2 as the penalty is the same.

Mregor
Actually it could matter...a flagrant foul carries with it the disqualification of the perpetrator.

Sven
Sven, glad you brought attention to my incomplete statement. You are correct. Sometimes my fingers type too fast for my brain to function.

Mregor
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 08:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Well, I knew what....

....the right call was as I headed to the table.

The problem was that the ball was 30 feet upcourt and when the incident happened I called a technical at the spot.

Let's just say that I knew it was the wrong call five steps towards the table (which didn't happen right away because I stayed with the players to make sure there wouldn't be any further activity).

I would bet cash money that I was the only one that knew that I called the wrong thing, but that doesn't matter. I WAS wrong.

Having called the technical, I made the decision to stay with it and get the game started. The player that got the technical was pulled from the game, we shot the throws, and we continued play.

A clear rules mistake that I won't make again.

Regards,
Rich
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Well, I knew what....

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Let's just say that I knew it was the wrong call five steps towards the table
Rich, I'm not being critical, honest. Just asking a question based on hindsight. Would anyone have known if you'd changed your call before getting to the table? In other words, what would've happened if you'd gone to the table and told them "Ball was live. I have an intentional personal foul"?

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Contact during a live ball - Personal
Contact during dead ball - Technical
No contact during a live ball - Violation, if it meets the guidelines.
No contact during a dead ball - Possible T if you consider the incident unsporting. Otherwise, nothing.
Just thought I'd expand on this one a tiny bit.

First off, dead ball contact is only a technical if it is intentional or flagrant, so all dead ball T's are intentional or flagrant technicals (usually don't have to report the intentional part).

Second, for "no contact during a live ball," you could have a T. The player could (I can't think of an example right now) display unsportsmanlike conduct or could throw a punch/kick that doesn't connect (fighting, by rule, includes simply throwing a punch).

Just some thoughts.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 11:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Chuck:

Probably no difference at all. I thought about that too. Hindsight is always 20/20

Actually, since the contact happened across the table near the division line the only thing that would've changed ON THE COURT is that the player fouled would've been required to shoot the free throws.

It was a hard play for me to describe -- the only reaction I had at the time was, "How unsporting." I mean, the elbow itself wasn't vicious (which is why I didn't see it as flagrant). But it was calculated and was into the back of the other player. Easy call in football

Rich