View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 08:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Girls' HS varsity game Saturday night. Game is not close from the start.

Mad scramble for the ball near the sideline opposite the table in Team A's frontcourt. One player for each team dives after the ball, and the Team B player is able to get to the ball and move it upcourt.

At this point the girls were both lying on the floor, stomachs down (like they had just dove headfirst, which they did). Since the play had gotten a little chippy as the margin on the scoreboard got larger (we did call 55 fouls, so there's no way we weren't trying to control this) I decided to stay with the two players even though the play was heading upcourt.

Good thing I did. Just as the ball was crossing midcourt, the team A player rolled over and elbowed the team B player in the middle of the back.

I suppose I should've called a flagrant foul, but I saw the entire exchange and to me the act didn't warrant ejection. It did, however, warrant something more than a common foul.

If this had been a dead ball situation, it would've been a nobrainer -- a technical under 10-3-9. It was not a dead ball situation, although in essence it played out like one since the ball was downcourt.

Where would the experts here go with this? Rule an intentional personal foul? Rule a flagrant foul just because of the unsporting nature of the foul?

I'll tell you what I did after I hear some feedback.

Regards,
Rich