Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
I never suggested doing anything that that rules dont allow. If you call something it is going to the nearest spot. If it's close where we can probably go either way I generally the sideline.

The rules do not explicitly offer a choice, but it doesnt prohibit it either...but they can run the baseline. I have never seen anything where it says we are supposed to be in one place or another to bring the ball inbounds.

I would not ever wait on a coach, however if a coach made a request that appears to be something I can accomodate him, I'll probably do it. I can be hardnosed if I want to be.

My point is that we as officials should not be so inflexible, or have to prove that we are right/the coaches are idiots...

If a coach was asking me to move while reffing a three-man game, I think'd I talk with him, not ridicule him.

I just think we have better things to do than prove we are right and then win the argument with the T
Sounds like presence to me.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 03:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Where was the argument?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
I never suggested doing anything that that rules dont allow. If you call something it is going to the nearest spot. If it's close where we can probably go either way I generally the sideline.

The rules do not explicitly offer a choice, but it doesnt prohibit it either...but they can run the baseline. I have never seen anything where it says we are supposed to be in one place or another to bring the ball inbounds.

I would not ever wait on a coach, however if a coach made a request that appears to be something I can accomodate him, I'll probably do it. I can be hardnosed if I want to be.

My point is that we as officials should not be so inflexible, or have to prove that we are right/the coaches are idiots...

If a coach was asking me to move while reffing a three-man game, I think'd I talk with him, not ridicule him.

I just think we have better things to do than prove we are right and then win the argument with the T
First of all Kevin, there was no argument. I put the ball in play and that was the end of it for me. The coach was the one that would not let it go. This is actually like others said, one of the stupidest request I have ever encountered by a coach. You are right, we should not be inflexiable, but we also do not have to cater to the coaches because they have a request that is outside the bounds of rules or particality. We are suppose to keep the game moving, if I went along with his request, it might have confused my partners more than it needed to. Because the gym was so loud, they did not hear or understand what he wanted. Understand that we are the authority of the game and have to run the game despite the concerns of a coach. If we worried or listen to every coaches request, we might never get thru the game. I wasted more time even listening to this silly request. They have no choice, the rules do not support it, and I am not moving when his kid can move to the other side. Very easy solution as far as I am concerned. This is even more stupid that calling a "moving screen" because a coach wants us to.

Peace