The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Foul, then horn, but no free throws?

A1 gets fouled and the official has a whistle. However, the clock operator cannot stop the clock in time and the horn sounds to end the game, but clearly after the foul. About 1 - 2 seconds should have been put back. One official has A1 come to the line, while the calling official rules that the free throws will not be shot and the game is over. The score was Team A = 52 Team B = 67.

Thoughts??
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 04:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
A1 gets fouled and the official has a whistle. However, the clock operator cannot stop the clock in time and the horn sounds to end the game, but clearly after the foul. About 1 - 2 seconds should have been put back. One official has A1 come to the line, while the calling official rules that the free throws will not be shot and the game is over. The score was Team A = 52 Team B = 67.

Thoughts??
If the officials have definite knowledge that time should be on the clock, then they should shoot the FTs with time on the clock regardless of score. The official would be correct if the action took place after time had expired and the FTs were not going to affect the outcome of the game.

Peace
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If the officials have definite knowledge that time should be on the clock, then they should shoot the FTs with time on the clock regardless of score. The official would be correct if the action took place after time had expired and the FTs were not going to affect the outcome of the game.

Peace
"action took place after time had expired"

Meaning technical fouls?
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 06:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Look at Rule 5-6-2 Exceptions will be a little more specific at to how this applies.

Peace
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 07:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If the officials don't have any definite knowledge of how much time to put back on, they don't put any on. They can't guess. If they don't put any time back on, these FTs shouldn't be shot because they wouldn't affect the outcome of the game.
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
. About 1 - 2 seconds should have been put back.
It doesn't work that way. You CAN'T guess that "1 - 2 seconds should have been put back" on the clock. You have to have definite knowledge of exactly how much time should be put back. If you don't, you don't punt anything. And since the game is over and the FTs don't affect the outcome, you don't shoot them.

Not to be ugly but you're working D-II college basketball and you don't know this?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

"A1 gets fouled and the official has a whistle."

Glad that the official has a whistle. It's tough to officiate the game without one.
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 07:29am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Not to be ugly but you're working D-II college basketball and you don't know this?
Maybe s/he knows but is trying to stir discussion in a time with few basketball-related posts?
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 07:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Maybe s/he knows but is trying to stir discussion in a time with few basketball-related posts?
That is the way I took it. I guess you cannot raise an issue or ask a question without certain things being questioned. Some people need to get the stick out of their behind.

Peace
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
It doesn't work that way. You CAN'T guess that "1 - 2 seconds should have been put back" on the clock. You have to have definite knowledge of exactly how much time should be put back. If you don't, you don't punt anything. And since the game is over and the FTs don't affect the outcome, you don't shoot them.

I was not working the games. I was there to watch my nephew. I'll leave my response at that.
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 09:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I was not working the games. I was there to watch my nephew. I'll leave my response at that.
So what, if anything, did you think they did incorrectly?
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So what, if anything, did you think they did incorrectly?
The foul definately happened before the horn sounded. I estimated (not definite I know) 1 - 2 seconds. I was sitting 2 rows back behind the table, and after the game could hear the conversation between the officials as their bags and seats were right below mine. The calling official based his ruling, on not shooting the free throws, on the score and that the free throws would not matter. The other was making the case that the foul happened before the horn and that time should have been put back (I didn't hear a precise amount, which is probably why they didn't), no matter the score.
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

15 point differential in the summer, with a slow clock person, whistle, horn, 2 FTs due to winning or losing team... "ummm who's got next?!?!"
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 10:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The foul definately happened before the horn sounded. I estimated (not definite I know) 1 - 2 seconds. I was sitting 2 rows back behind the table, and after the game could hear the conversation between the officials as their bags and seats were right below mine. The calling official based his ruling, on not shooting the free throws, on the score and that the free throws would not matter. The other was making the case that the foul happened before the horn and that time should have been put back (I didn't hear a precise amount, which is probably why they didn't), no matter the score.
1. One of them should have looked at the clock when the whistle blew, knowing the time was that low.

2. You can't guess, so they were right not to put anything back on if they hadn't seen the clock.

3. It's summer ball with a 15 point lead. Not looking at the clock here isn't a crime.
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 10:47am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. One of them should have looked at the clock when the whistle blew, knowing the time was that low.

2. You can't guess, so they were right not to put anything back on if they hadn't seen the clock.

3. It's summer ball with a 15 point lead. Not looking at the clock here isn't a crime.
+1

With this point spread, if this play happened in the state finals, it still wouldn't be a crime.

Lonesome Dove