The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Foul, then horn, but no free throws? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/70455-foul-then-horn-but-no-free-throws.html)

NCHSAA Sun May 22, 2011 04:24pm

Foul, then horn, but no free throws?

A1 gets fouled and the official has a whistle. However, the clock operator cannot stop the clock in time and the horn sounds to end the game, but clearly after the foul. About 1 - 2 seconds should have been put back. One official has A1 come to the line, while the calling official rules that the free throws will not be shot and the game is over. The score was Team A = 52 Team B = 67.

Thoughts??

JRutledge Sun May 22, 2011 04:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 760355)
A1 gets fouled and the official has a whistle. However, the clock operator cannot stop the clock in time and the horn sounds to end the game, but clearly after the foul. About 1 - 2 seconds should have been put back. One official has A1 come to the line, while the calling official rules that the free throws will not be shot and the game is over. The score was Team A = 52 Team B = 67.

Thoughts??

If the officials have definite knowledge that time should be on the clock, then they should shoot the FTs with time on the clock regardless of score. The official would be correct if the action took place after time had expired and the FTs were not going to affect the outcome of the game.

Peace

NCHSAA Sun May 22, 2011 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 760357)
If the officials have definite knowledge that time should be on the clock, then they should shoot the FTs with time on the clock regardless of score. The official would be correct if the action took place after time had expired and the FTs were not going to affect the outcome of the game.

Peace

"action took place after time had expired"

Meaning technical fouls?

JRutledge Sun May 22, 2011 06:12pm

Look at Rule 5-6-2 Exceptions will be a little more specific at to how this applies.

Peace

Adam Sun May 22, 2011 07:20pm

If the officials don't have any definite knowledge of how much time to put back on, they don't put any on. They can't guess. If they don't put any time back on, these FTs shouldn't be shot because they wouldn't affect the outcome of the game.

BktBallRef Sun May 22, 2011 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 760355)
. About 1 - 2 seconds should have been put back.

It doesn't work that way. You CAN'T guess that "1 - 2 seconds should have been put back" on the clock. You have to have definite knowledge of exactly how much time should be put back. If you don't, you don't punt anything. And since the game is over and the FTs don't affect the outcome, you don't shoot them.

Not to be ugly but you're working D-II college basketball and you don't know this? :(

ref3808 Mon May 23, 2011 05:58am

"A1 gets fouled and the official has a whistle."

Glad that the official has a whistle. It's tough to officiate the game without one.

Scrapper1 Mon May 23, 2011 07:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 760390)
Not to be ugly but you're working D-II college basketball and you don't know this? :(

Maybe s/he knows but is trying to stir discussion in a time with few basketball-related posts?

JRutledge Mon May 23, 2011 07:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 760453)
Maybe s/he knows but is trying to stir discussion in a time with few basketball-related posts?

That is the way I took it. I guess you cannot raise an issue or ask a question without certain things being questioned. Some people need to get the stick out of their behind.

Peace

NCHSAA Mon May 23, 2011 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 760390)
It doesn't work that way. You CAN'T guess that "1 - 2 seconds should have been put back" on the clock. You have to have definite knowledge of exactly how much time should be put back. If you don't, you don't punt anything. And since the game is over and the FTs don't affect the outcome, you don't shoot them.

I was not working the games. I was there to watch my nephew. I'll leave my response at that.

Adam Mon May 23, 2011 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 760461)
I was not working the games. I was there to watch my nephew. I'll leave my response at that.

So what, if anything, did you think they did incorrectly?

NCHSAA Mon May 23, 2011 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 760477)
So what, if anything, did you think they did incorrectly?

The foul definately happened before the horn sounded. I estimated (not definite I know) 1 - 2 seconds. I was sitting 2 rows back behind the table, and after the game could hear the conversation between the officials as their bags and seats were right below mine. The calling official based his ruling, on not shooting the free throws, on the score and that the free throws would not matter. The other was making the case that the foul happened before the horn and that time should have been put back (I didn't hear a precise amount, which is probably why they didn't), no matter the score.

tref Mon May 23, 2011 09:59am

15 point differential in the summer, with a slow clock person, whistle, horn, 2 FTs due to winning or losing team... "ummm who's got next?!?!"

Adam Mon May 23, 2011 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 760481)
The foul definately happened before the horn sounded. I estimated (not definite I know) 1 - 2 seconds. I was sitting 2 rows back behind the table, and after the game could hear the conversation between the officials as their bags and seats were right below mine. The calling official based his ruling, on not shooting the free throws, on the score and that the free throws would not matter. The other was making the case that the foul happened before the horn and that time should have been put back (I didn't hear a precise amount, which is probably why they didn't), no matter the score.

1. One of them should have looked at the clock when the whistle blew, knowing the time was that low.

2. You can't guess, so they were right not to put anything back on if they hadn't seen the clock.

3. It's summer ball with a 15 point lead. Not looking at the clock here isn't a crime.

just another ref Mon May 23, 2011 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 760489)
1. One of them should have looked at the clock when the whistle blew, knowing the time was that low.

2. You can't guess, so they were right not to put anything back on if they hadn't seen the clock.

3. It's summer ball with a 15 point lead. Not looking at the clock here isn't a crime.

+1

With this point spread, if this play happened in the state finals, it still wouldn't be a crime.