Thread: Heat-Knicks
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 06, 2000, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Before I read these posts I had a real dislike for Spreewell. I thought Spreewell should have been banned from the game for life. I had a couple of reasons for my opinion.

1. A coach no matter how much of a jerk or how disliked he is deserves some respect (just as game officials do). Just as a national leader does. Choking a superior is a serious offense in my book. What if it had been a game official?

2. In baseball, an all-time great named Pete Rose was banned from the game because of gambling. I think physical violence is much different than gambling.

3. The example it sets for kids playing the game. It says "it can get away with alot if you play pro ball."

But after reading your posts about Spreewell, I think I am modifying my opinion.
I am glad to know Spreewell is now a model citizen and am curious how he displays his good citizenship. I also believe in giving people second chances and I guess Spreewell has been pretty quiet to the game officials during the playoffs.

But I do believe our actions should have consequences. I would have liked him banned from the league for a year or two to make a point. I was calling for his head and it seems like he got a small slap on the wrist when something more middle of the road was called for.

Anyway this is my humble opinion on that matter.