Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Re: Super Excellent Advice, Big Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Eye contact with your partner is ESSENTIAL, especially as you are preparing to put the ball in play (Throw-ins, and FTs)
My only additional suggestion would be to make eye contact with the table also. I'm guessing that you will have a couple of high school kids and making contact with them and letting them know they are important will make your job a lot easier.

Stan
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Sore muscles

Heheh I can almost guarantee I'll be sore since they scheduled me for three straight games this Saturday, and 4 next Saturday! Heck, the kids don't even play that much!! It's a good think I'm a runner!
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

#1 rule treat these kids as if they are you own. Have as much fun as they are. Relax and enjoy the moment. Remember to teach as well as officiate. You do this you should not have many parents chewing your behind.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Always make sure you have 5 on 5 before putting the ball in play.

See your partner before putting ball in play, making sure he is kadycorner from you every time.

Blow the whistle loud.
Use a distinct voice.
Present each mechanic signal slowly, precisely, and by the book. These 3 suggestions are good tools to use to show all spectators, coaches and players that you are confident in yourself.

Use the whistle and voice to sell a necessary call.

Take all the time it takes to explain a situation to the kid, if he/she seems confused. The parents will greatly appreciated the kind gesture. Give the kid a pat on the back or rub his head after explaining. With this young of an age group, you are also a teacher on the court.

Try to gel with the flow, in other words, become inconspicuous. You are out there for the kids, not yourself.

And as everybody else has mentioned, HAVE FUN, and smile!

[Edited by John Schaefferkoetter on Jan 17th, 2003 at 01:16 PM]
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Let us know how your day (Games) went.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Talking Game results

The games went well. I was a little shy with the whistle, probably because I read in one of these message posts that new officials tend to be "whistle-happy". I didn't want to be that. But after the 2nd game, and into the 3rd, I started to gain some confidence and felt pretty good.

I think part of the difficulty that I'm having also, is that I've been watching high school Varsity games because my daughter plays, so it's kind of hard to step back to this level and not call everything. The fact that it's just a running clock, takes away alot of the ref control too. I was reading those rule books like the bible too, and really didn't need alot of it for this level. I think maybe I over-prepared, if there is such a thing?

It was definately entertaining though! Lots of little guys and gals running up the court trying their damndest to get that ball up into that hoop! There were a couple superstars on each team, so we started pinging them for more calls just to keep the teams even and help them learn a bit too. No one likes a runaway score! My daughters have been on both sides of that coin, and it's no fun either way!

Anyway, it was a blast. Next Saturday I have 4 back-to-back games. I was BEAT after three today. I came home and pigged out, then slept for two hours, and then pigged out again! And here I was hoping to lose weight by running up and down the court. Not the way I'm eating afterwards!

Thanks for everyone's advice. It all helped alot!

Kris
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: Game results

Quote:
Originally posted by Kris3333
I was reading those rule books like the bible too, and really didn't need alot of it for this level. I think maybe I over-prepared, if there is such a thing?
Unless preparation for basketball games is interfering with your job or personal life - no.

A lot of rules may seem immaterial now (kinda like my correctable error situation during an intramural game ), but it's probably easier to learn them now and simply not apply them fully (i.e., ease up on the traveling rule, but be able to tell yourself its a travel) than it would be to have to, basically, learn new rules as you advance in your officiating career.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you to everyone that posted to this subject. You were a great help! I have four more rec games this weekend. I'm ready now!

Kris
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thank you to everyone that posted to this subject. You were a great help! I have four more rec games this weekend. I'm ready now!

Yes you are but remember one thing, you never stop learning.
Keep up the good work

Baldy

Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Learning

Oh most definately!!! I learned so much last Saturday. I was amazed. I've been in basketball for about 10 years now with my kids. It's definately a different side of the coin! I'd actually like my girls to get into it, just to learn to respect ref's a little more!

It's funny now, I hear people complaining about the ref's in a game, and now I start to defend them! Then I get "the look" and they stop talking.

I was keeping score for my daughter's high school game last Friday night, and the ref was sooooooo quiet, I could hardly hear who he was calling the foul on, and when he used his fingers to show the number, he kept them together, so it was hard to see who he called it on too. Stuff like that will make ME a better ref.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

It's funny now, I hear people complaining about the ref's in a game, and now I start to defend them! Then I get "the look" and they stop talking.

I do the same thing and get the same reaction. You do not realize how much there is to officating until you get out there. Antoher tip if I may. Practice your mechinacs in front of a mirror. Your call travling, double dribble etc... Also what I do is practice my foul call and reporting. Sometimes it is the little things that can set you apart.

Baldy
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Practicing

I've been told to practice in front of a mirror, but haven't been able to get past that "Boy do I feel silly" stage! Suppose I should just get over it and do it! Thanks for the tips.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Practicing

Quote:
I've been told to practice in front of a mirror, but haven't been able to get past that "Boy do I feel silly" stage! Suppose I should just get over it and do it! Thanks for the tips.
I had the same "dumb" feeling the first time I practiced in front of the mirror, but it sure helps. My wife made me go to the basement and told me to "stop blowing that d@mn whistle in here".
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Practicing

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
I had the same "dumb" feeling the first time I practiced in front of the mirror, but it sure helps. My wife made me go to the basement and told me to "stop blowing that d@mn whistle in here".
Hay dblref, the e-mail address did not work. Ok to send message to navy.gov address?

Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Practicing

Quote:
Kris -- This is my fourth year, and I never have gotten over it -- still can't use a mirror. What works as well or better is to take a kid with you to a game and have him video your game. I've said this over and over, and it really is true. Tape about once a month, and you gain about an extra six months to a year in learning. If you become addicted as I have, and want to go on and move up, you can do that alot faster with the taping thing going on.