The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the situation: I officiated a Men's Junior College game last night. A player from Team A dunked the ball with about 1:30 to go in warmups. I informed my partner of the "T" and we went over to meet the coaches. At that time, I informed the table and the coaches of the technical. Fine so far. As I am instructing the scorekeeper about how to proceed, the coach has a question about the situation. Now, there's about 15 seconds left before the horn is supposed sounds to end the warmup. As I am speaking to the coach, my partner grabs the ball, gets a player from Team B and has him shoot the "T." The coach then gets upset because we shot the "T" before the time ran out for warmups. Personally, I didn't think it mattered and explained that to the coach. We then proceeded to start the game from point of interruption (the jump ball). After this, things went fine.

My partner and I agreed that if that happened to us in the future we would just take our time and wait until the clock runs down. However, my question is this: Does it say anywhere in the rules that you have to wait until the clock reaches 0:00 before shooting the technical?

Thanks for any comments or rulebook citations.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TGR
Here's the situation: I officiated a Men's Junior College game last night. A player from Team A dunked the ball with about 1:30 to go in warmups. I informed my partner of the "T" and we went over to meet the coaches. At that time, I informed the table and the coaches of the technical. Fine so far. As I am instructing the scorekeeper about how to proceed, the coach has a question about the situation. Now, there's about 15 seconds left before the horn is supposed sounds to end the warmup. As I am speaking to the coach, my partner grabs the ball, gets a player from Team B and has him shoot the "T." The coach then gets upset because we shot the "T" before the time ran out for warmups. Personally, I didn't think it mattered and explained that to the coach. We then proceeded to start the game from point of interruption (the jump ball). After this, things went fine.

My partner and I agreed that if that happened to us in the future we would just take our time and wait until the clock runs down. However, my question is this: Does it say anywhere in the rules that you have to wait until the clock reaches 0:00 before shooting the technical?

Thanks for any comments or rulebook citations.
I don't think it says that, but the game starts / ball becomes live when the FT starts. If you do it much before :15, you'll have teams practicing during a dead ball -- are you going to call a T for that? Do you routinely interrupt your game for introductions and the anthem (that I assume happened after the FT)?

Common sense would say wait until you would normally have the jump ball, then go shoot.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Here's an additional note: The game was going to start right away. They weren't doing any introductions or pledge. So that came into play in this situation.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Probably best to wait until the clock runs out, if for no other reason than to confirm one last time with coaches and players that they know what is happening and why, then get it done PDQ and toss it up.

Having said this, I think the coach was a bit silly on this one....you try to be efficient and you get an earful.

I think the one Poster on this board had it right....

"So many coaches, so few meteors."
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 01:14pm
Jerry Blum

Since you were doing junior college, I am assuming that there is a difference between that and NFHS. Because I am pretty sure that in NFHS rules you would start the game by having B shooting the free throws and then give the ball to B at the division line and the arrow goes to Team A.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought this was the way NFHS worked.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
Since you were doing junior college, I am assuming that there is a difference between that and NFHS. Because I am pretty sure that in NFHS rules you would start the game by having B shooting the free throws and then give the ball to B at the division line and the arrow goes to Team A.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought this was the way NFHS worked.
You are correct in how this would be handled under NFHS rules.

The original poster was correct under NCAA rules.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Gee canuckref, a silly coach? Go figure...