The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

I would let him play. I would rather have him playing basketball than in the parking lot breaking into my car. Sports is the last resort to getting to these kids to walk a straight path.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Electronic teather..

In Michigan, no players may participate while wearing an electronic teather.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb oops.. tether even

safety issue for the player as well as the other team. These things are very hard with sharp metalic corners.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 11:06pm
Administrator

Re: Electronic teather..

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
In Michigan, no players may participate while wearing an electronic teather.

Please state how you came to this decision. Has the MichiganHSAA requested and received an official ruling from the NFHS?
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
I agree let them play. Sometimes you don't even notice that it is on them. I had a situation where a kid was wearing one and we did know until after the game was over. (He was on the bench most of the time.)

My two sense!
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Re: oops.. tether even

Quote:
safety issue for the player as well as the other team. These things are very hard with sharp metalic corners.
And so are soccer style ankle guards and they are allowed.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Not a protective devise

Shin guards, knee braces, and so on, are different than a tether. These are worn for protection purposes, and we have guidelines for protective gear.
The MichiganHSAA will not allow tethers for any sports. Schools may petition for any uniform/equipment deviation from traditional equipment, but wearing a tether will never be allowed and has been vetoed everytime.
Rule 3-5 covers it pretty well.
I believe that the boy should be allowed to play sans the tether. If his PO, coach, and parents believe that basketball is a great release for him, and they know he'll be at a game, allow it to be removed for his games. That way he cannot injure himself, or others.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 11:14pm
Administrator

Re: Not a protective devise

Quote:
Shin guards, knee braces, and so on, are different than a tether. These are worn for protection purposes, and we have guidelines for protective gear.
The MichiganHSAA will not allow tethers for any sports. Schools may petition for any uniform/equipment deviation from traditional equipment, but wearing a tether will never be allowed and has been vetoed everytime.
I believe that the boy should be allowed to play sans the tether. If his PO, coach, and parents believe that basketball is a great release for him, and they know he'll be at a game, allow it to be removed for his games. That way he cannot injure himself, or others.

You still haven't answered my original question: Please verify your statement concerning the MichiganHSAA. I am registered with the MichiganHSAA and have never seen a ruling from them or the NFHS concerning the ankle tether that is being discussed in this thread.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 09:23pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Not a protective devise

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

You still haven't answered my original question: Please verify your statement concerning the MichiganHSAA. I am registered with the MichiganHSAA and have never seen a ruling from them or the NFHS concerning the ankle tether that is being discussed in this thread.

Mark T.,
She needed a ruling last year, made the phone call and got it. She's not guessin' here. She doesn't work that way.
mick
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 09:36pm
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Not a protective devise

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Quote:

Mark T.,
She needed a ruling last year, made the phone call and got it. She's not guessin' here. She doesn't work that way.
mick
I am sorry if I am still skeptical because it is stated MichiganHSAA policy that there is no official ruling from the MichiganHSAA puts it in writing and until the MichiganHSAA puts it in writing and distributes to all of its officials, her statement holds not water for me.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 10:01pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Not a protective devise

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Quote:

Mark T.,
mick
I am sorry if I am still skeptical because it is stated MichiganHSAA policy that there is no official ruling from the MichiganHSAA puts it in writing and until the MichiganHSAA puts it in writing and distributes to all of its officials, her statement holds not water for me.
Mark T.,
"No official ruling"... exactly.
That's why we haven't read it.
That's why they haven't written it.
...And Viet Nam was not a war.
It was what it was.
Make the call, maybe it's changed now, but don't doubt that her information is real.
mick
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

These monitoring devices were certainly legal in 1984.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Not a protective devise

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You sure in the hell could have fooled me.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 09:59am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Not a protective devise

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef

[/QUOTE]

You sure in the hell could have fooled me.
[/QUOTE]

...Exactly.