The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   no timeouts (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6945-no-timeouts.html)

DownTownTonyBrown Mon Jan 13, 2003 06:28pm

Additionally

There is no rule that says an official must notify the coach of his timeout situation. They tend to keep track of their own - for what other reason do they have all those silly assistant coaches anyway (saw 6 coaches and 5 subs the other day)?

The mechanics manual (not a rule) in paragraph 272 says "Notify the coach when a team has used their allotted time-outs."

It is a courtesy and not a rule. AND there are surely times when you don't want to be over there saying "You only have one timeout left, Coach." However, I still do it, too.

pizanno Mon Jan 13, 2003 06:47pm

No brainer...

1. Grant TO
2. Assess T

Fletch: if it's Steve Fisher, then you give him what he wants. He's getting paid good money to make his own decisions.

At least in NCAA, they won't lose posession.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 13, 2003 07:59pm

Re: Additionally

Quote:

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
There is no rule that says an official must notify the coach of his timeout situation. They tend to keep track of their own - for what other reason do they have all those silly assistant coaches anyway (saw 6 coaches and 5 subs the other day)?

The mechanics manual (not a rule) in paragraph 272 says "Notify the coach when a team has used their allotted time-outs."

It is a courtesy and not a rule. AND there are surely times when you don't want to be over there saying "You only have one timeout left, Coach." However, I still do it, too.

Uh,Tony,check out RULE 2-11-6.You're supposed to notify a team and it's coach when they've used their last TO,BY RULE.

ronald Wed Jan 15, 2003 02:31am

Fletch,

Your assignor is asking you to cheat and to ignore a rule that must be enforced. He does not belong assigning games. If your interpreter agrees with that, then he is a baseless, spinless individual. He does not belong interpreting. Like someone else said, the players are deciding the game by the request for a timeout.

I'd check this guys IQ or common sense because he is missing something there. It seems to be a cop out to say well, the situation, blah blah blah.

I'm with the guy that would move on to better pastures.

mick Wed Jan 15, 2003 07:13am

Oh, my !

Quote:

Originally posted by ronald

... he is missing something there.

Take it easy ronald.
Name calling is for fans, not refs. :rolleyes:

dhodges007 Wed Jan 15, 2003 07:29am

Quote:

Originally posted by ronald
Fletch,

Your assignor is asking you to cheat and to ignore a rule that must be enforced. He does not belong assigning games. If your interpreter agrees with that, then he is a baseless, spinless individual. He does not belong interpreting. Like someone else said, the players are deciding the game by the request for a timeout.

I'd check this guys IQ or common sense because he is missing something there. It seems to be a cop out to say well, the situation, blah blah blah.

I'm with the guy that would move on to better pastures.

Ron, how do you really feel? :p

ronald Wed Jan 15, 2003 07:38am

Hodges,

Outraged at the thought process of that assignor/interpreter.

fletch_irwin_m Wed Jan 15, 2003 08:08am

RON,
Perhaps you should try decaf or breakfast cereal lower in sugar.
I have nothing but the UTMOST respect for our assignor and our interprter. It is no more a blatant ignoring of rules, IMHO, then waiting until 7 or 8 seconds talking to someone and then calling "3 seconds" As far as being a "Cop" imagine if all State Troopers pulled everyone over who was exceeding the speed limit by 1 mph. As I think I have stated, if it is obvious to EVERYONE then I gotta grant the TO, IF I can delay the call a little bit to either let the time expire (in my game it was 4 sec.) OR for a coach to scream WE DON'T HAVE ANY, then I am going to give them that leway. IF I don't know 100% what the time - out situation is then I am going to grant it immediately. So YES, in this scenario there ARE situations that need to be looked at.

Rich Wed Jan 15, 2003 08:25am

You are absolutely wrong and are blinded by the "respect" you have for your assignor. Your assignor is absolutely wrong, too.

If you see or hear a timeout request, then in your mind you have acknowledged that request and you should report the timeout. You are giving the team that requests the timeout an advantage they don't deserve.

Rich

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Jan 15th, 2003 at 07:28 AM]

fletch_irwin_m Wed Jan 15, 2003 08:59am

Did I ever mention we GRANTED the TO request? After viewing these replies I probably would do that again. I am NOT saying I wouldn't wait a few beats before granting, but if he is intent on asking for the TO, I am giving it to him.
The only hang up I have is that they are asking for something they don't necessarily have. How many times have we missed a travel call or let a 3 second call go and have the players and coaches ASKING that we make the call? I know a TO is a little different, but it is a hump I need to get over and will. Considering this has only happened about 2 times in the last 3 years, it is not something that occurs frequently, but need to be prepared when it does.
BTW, our assignor is a 3 sport college official.

mick Wed Jan 15, 2003 09:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
Did I ever mention we GRANTED the TO request? After viewing these replies I probably would do that again. I am <u>NOT saying I wouldn't wait a few beats before granting</u>, but if he is intent on asking for the TO, I am giving it to him.

fletch,
It's time to concede that putt. ;)
mick

fletch_irwin_m Wed Jan 15, 2003 09:07am

I agree. I knew I would get filleted BUT it is always good to get other trains of thoughts.
I say we drop it and move on.
I am glad someone else concedes putts!

Viking32 Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:01am

One last thing to add to the discussion. In basketball, you HAVE TO grant the TO. Like someone else said, the players are deciding the game by asking for too many timeouts.

For those of you that work football, it is the opposite ruling. If you know they don't have any TO's, you CAN'T grant a timeout. But this forum is basketball, and therefore, you must grant it!!

MN 3 Sport Ref Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:40am

DITTO

Quote:

Originally posted by Viking32
One last thing to add to the discussion. In basketball, you HAVE TO grant the TO. Like someone else said, the players are deciding the game by asking for too many timeouts.

For those of you that work football, it is the opposite ruling. If you know they don't have any TO's, you CAN'T grant a timeout. But this forum is basketball, and therefore, you must grant it!!

I hear ya Vik 2!!! :d

Welcome to the board. This board is getting pretty strong with Minnesota guys. Where/ What level do you wortk here in MN. I work in SE Minn (roch). I work FB as well and was thinking the same thing about not granting in FB.

ScottParks Wed Jan 15, 2003 04:05pm

Re: DITTO

Deleted.

[Edited by ScottParks on Jan 15th, 2003 at 03:51 PM]