The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Oh boy, My last game of the weekend. I've dealt with stupid coaches all day. Screaming for every single little bit of touch. So yeah it was eventful. 8-9 yr old boys game.
A1 OOB inbounds pass full court press - counts get to 3 A coach calls timeout partner acknowleges. Table didnt hear it I had to relay. Clock stopped at 1.4. Partner and I huddle during timeout discuss. We decide to put 5 seconds on the clock. Partner says he acknowleged at 5 seconds to go. Parter tells A coach. I tell B coach. B coach starts getting IRATE! Tells me I cant add 5 seocns blah blah blah blah blah....(I had a davism :-D heheh) Coach tells me"YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO CALL THE GAME!" I looked at him with a straight face and calm voice and said "they call me every week dont they?" he turns around. 1st horn blows hes still ranting. Partner comes over to me. A calls successive timeout. B still yacking. I've given him 30 seconds (30 ft of rope)to hang himself 20 ft(sec) too long. WHACK! He walks back ot his huddle. Green shoots. Impound the ball last second shot ball game. Sign the books he wants to talk some more. Tell him games over. Put on my jacket and walked right out. I prolly opended myself up for some backtalk Im young and have a spit fire respsone sometimes. most of comments were trying to diffuse the situation. My partner said he was glad I whacked him because he was about to do it. I feel like I handled the situation very well considering my inexperince with coaches.
I'm still waiting on my NFHS rule books (been 2 weeks - called yesterday said itd be here today or next week) so I cant check a book about adding seconds. The timekeeper had too much delay in stopping the clock after the acknowlegement to be fair. Advice, rules, and constructive critism please.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Timing Concern

NFHS 5-10-1
... The referee may correct and obvious mistake by the timer to start or stop the clock properly ONLY when s/he has DEFINITE (caps added) information relative to the time involved.
NFHS 5-10-2
... If the referee determines that the clock was not started or stopped properly, or if the clock did not run, an official's count (bold added) or other official information can be used to make a correction.

The above Rules are your authority to make this adjustment.

If I am Coach B, I am going to challenge you as to how you ascertained the definite knowledge about the timing error.
Having said that, I would also acknowledge that Coach B earned the T by his totally inappropriate "approach". He was WAY out of line... and forced you to react and take control.

WRONG APPROACH:
Coach tells me "YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO CALL THE GAME!"
WRONG RESPONSE:
"They call me every week, dont they?"

DO NOT lower your behavior to that of an irate coach.

Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Timing Concern

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree

WRONG APPROACH:
Coach tells me "YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO CALL THE GAME!"
WRONG RESPONSE:
"They call me every week, dont they?"
Correct. That's when you should have stuck him.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Yeah after I said it I was like OUCH! SHOULDNT DONE THAT! I asked for everything after that. I was REALLY hesitant with the T after the first 20 sec of his crap. But I've been known for a quick trigger with these coaches. (First year with THIS league so i dont know any of the coaches, I dont accept anything more or less of a coach. I strictly dont put up with stuff that other refs out here put up with) So I really didnt wanna do it. But when he called me out like that I shoulda put my wistle in it. Bit it and then given the tech.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

You might want to consider why the other officials aren't calling Ts for the same things you are. Perhaps take a hint.

Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef, can you contact me off board please. I'd like to hear what else you have to say.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
BktBallRef, can you contact me off board please. I'd like to hear what else you have to say.
You've got mail!