The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

This actually happened to us last night. We officiated the girls B game. After the national anthem and before the players were introduced, the announcer introduced us. Much to my surprise we got a rousing ovation! No one has ever clapped for us in any other game where we have been introduced! We didn't hear one thing from the crowd the whole night. Not even an "over the back" or anything. There were actually about 100 people in the stands. When I got home I faxed in a good sportsmanship report to the state high school league office. I still can't believe what happened. It sure makes our job enjoyable when things like this happen.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ron
Did someone approach you after the game and say "You've been X'ed"?
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Did your Mama have a good view of the court?
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

A few years ago I was working a Varsity game. There was a J.V. game before that had a different set of officials. When we came out on the floor, the same thing happened. They were glad to see a different set of oficials.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 04:24pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
This actually happened to us last night. We officiated the girls B game. After the national anthem and before the players were introduced, the announcer introduced us. Much to my surprise we got a rousing ovation! No one has ever clapped for us in any other game where we have been introduced! We didn't hear one thing from the crowd the whole night. Not even an "over the back" or anything. There were actually about 100 people in the stands. When I got home I faxed in a good sportsmanship report to the state high school league office. I still can't believe what happened. It sure makes our job enjoyable when things like this happen.
Big Joe,
I know there's a joke there some where, but I'll be danged if I can see it.
Attaboy!
mick
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 05:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

What did you do after you woke up?
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, you thought they were applauding you. What they were really giving the ovation to is that both teams made it through warm-ups and introductions without any injuries. :-)

Z
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

So how was it working with your brother at the annual family reunion basketball game???
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Its time to respond to the green, envious, non-applauded officials out there! This actually happened and it wasn't at the family reunion game. In fact it was our first ever appearance in this gym. Maybe they were just in awe of a pair of officials who really knew what they were doing? Who hustled all the time and were always in position to make the calls. Who had the rules knowledge and ability to interprete these rules properly. Had flawless mechanics and these fans just couldn't believe that their A.D. actually could pay enough money to get officials like these in podunk, Minnesota.

Or maybe it was the school of the blind and they liked the sound of our whistles!
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
Wink

IT IS VERY GOOD TO BRING ALL YOU'R FAMILY TO THE GAME.
I WILL DO IT AT MY NEXT GAME.
P.S
I HAVE A BIG FAMILY ALSO...(ABOUT 150 PEOPLE)
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've had this happen. It was because the announcer asked us our years of experience (we each had 10+ years) and he included it in the introduction. The crowd was reflecting their pleasure at having experienced officials.

Now, of course, if you asked for their opinion after the game...
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Its time to respond to the green, envious, non-applauded officials out there! This actually happened and it wasn't at the family reunion game. In fact it was our first ever appearance in this gym. Maybe they were just in awe of a pair of officials who really knew what they were doing? Who hustled all the time and were always in position to make the calls. Who had the rules knowledge and ability to interprete these rules properly. Had flawless mechanics and these fans just couldn't believe that their A.D. actually could pay enough money to get officials like these in podunk, Minnesota.

Or maybe it was the school of the blind and they liked the sound of our whistles!
We coaches on the visiting bench just call you guys "Homers." (and we don't mean Simpson!)
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

No, that can't be it. I reffed there once and they said we stunk. :-) Maybe the J.V. refs were so bad that they figured you two had to be an improvement?

Z
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Two brief stories.

The only ovation of my career occured when no one came to the officials' locker room to get us for the second half. There was no clock and we finally realized that we'd better just back out. When we got to the floor, both teams were on the floor, the clock was ready and everybody was just waiting for us. The crowd applauded wildly, and obviously sarcastically. Not a good moment.

A couple years ago, I was at the same high school several times. During my final game of the season at that site, I said to the cheerleaders, "I've been here about 5 times this year and you guys are really good. You cheer for the players, for the other team's cheerleaders, but never for the refs. Got anything for us?" Next TO, sure enough. . ."Give those refs a hand! Let's give those refs a hand!" That was a good moment

Chuck
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Zebraman,

We WERE the J.V. refs! Up here in the sticks we do both the J.V. and the Varsity game at most sites. The only exception is at the big schools (which there are three within 200 miles)! I think it is an advantage to doing both games. You are ready to go right away to start the game. Plus when you travel 50-100 miles to the gamesite it is nice to get both the games money. Sometimes our mileage check is as much as our pay!