The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 02:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Here's what works best for me: I pick a spot about 3 feet higher than the taller jumper, then I use one hand to "shot put" the ball to that spot. Once I am ready to toss, I just look right at that spot. It really helps me to toss straight and to the right height that way.

I learned at a camp a long time ago to just experiment until you get a method that works best for you - there is no "one correct way".
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 03:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
I've practiced with a little different technique.

This method requires much greater accuracy than using a hoop. If you go up all the way on one side, it is possible for the ball to have moved nearly 9 inches by the time it comes back down and still go through. If you do that, by the time it hits the floor, it will be WAY off. The spot on the floor amplifies the measurement of the error.

I like this, but I don't see how it's anymore accurate than tossing the ball into the hoop without hitting the rim. What am I missing?
...parabolic disposition.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
I've practiced with a little different technique.

This method requires much greater accuracy than using a hoop. If you go up all the way on one side, it is possible for the ball to have moved nearly 9 inches by the time it comes back down and still go through. If you do that, by the time it hits the floor, it will be WAY off. The spot on the floor amplifies the measurement of the error.

I like this, but I don't see how it's anymore accurate than tossing the ball into the hoop without hitting the rim. What am I missing?
...parabolic disposition.
hmmmmm....let's see...9.4" diameter ball...18" diameter ring...margin of error nearly 9 inches....I guess I aint as good as I thought I was...or as smart.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
When I first got started, I had someone suggest to me that I take my year old child and start throwing her up. If you are wrong there, you are in serious trouble. You tend to do it right the first time. After that, it was my third season before I started working on a one handed toss.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 04:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
When I first got started, I had someone suggest to me that I take my year old child and start throwing her up. If you are wrong there, you are in serious trouble. You tend to do it right the first time. After that, it was my third season before I started working on a one handed toss.
Wouldn't the one-handed toss be harder then,Tim?After all,your daughter would be nearly four years old then,and much heavier!
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
At four years any kind of toss is hard so I learned the one hand toss with a ball not a kid.