The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Boys JV tonight NFHS. A1 while dribbling in his front court has the ball knocked away by B1 towards the backcourt. The ball while in flight hits B2 and then A2 before going into the backcourt. A3 recovers in the backcourt and I blow the play dead, backcourt violation. The A coach starts screaming and my partner a 10 year vet comes over to me and explains that B1 knocked the ball away from A1. I tell him that I saw that, however A2 touched it last and caused it to go backcourt. He tells me that it doesn't matter and to be truthful that put enough doubt into the play to have me agree with him. By the end of the game we both forgot about discussing it. In the comfort of my home, I pull out the rule book and see that the situation was a BC violation. Team A was the last to possess TEAM control, caused the ball to go into BC and was the first to touch it there. I will probably not see him anytime soon as our Board is quite large. You hardly ever work with the same officials more than once every two years. Should I give him a call to discuss it? I don't want it to seem as if I am rubbing it in his face, however, the situation obviously could happen again. If I do call him, how should I approach it?
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
Get the email address and send this link!
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 08:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
If I do call him, how should I approach it?
Say, "Hey giblet-head. Next time you try to talk me out of a correct call, I'll puke on your shoes, you moron."

Then hang up really quick before he can tell who's calling.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'm getting the feeling that I shouldn't call him!
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

eventnyc

No phone call... If I am the former partner, I would question your "obsessiveness" to prove that you were right.
You have done the review to affirm in your mind of how it should be handled in the future.

Do not fret so long over individual calls within your game. We all make calls that we realize, either at that instance or after review of a rule, are incorrect.

A veteran official once told me, "Sometimes wrong, but never indecisive." I have found that to be strong encouragement to get me through those moments when I start double-thinking calls during the game. Of course, this should also be coupled with ongoing review of the rules.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

eventnyc,
If he is a 10 year vet and STILL doesn't know this rule, then your phone call won't help. Obviously, he doesn't read the rules book, and doesn't care. He is there only because of seniority.

Next time you make a call and are sure of what you saw, you will stand tall and stick with it.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Agree

Don't call.

My two sense!
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Do it this way...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Say, "Hey giblet-head, this is Mark Padgett. Next time you try to talk me out of a correct call, I'll puke on your shoes, you moron."

Then hang up really quick before he can tell it's not Mark calling.
Since you apparently don't already have a relationship with this guy don't call him, but do bring it up as question during your next association meeting. But no finger pointing.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

If I were the official that made the error I would want you to call me and tell me I was wrong so I don't make that mistake again. No matter how long we have worked we learn something new everyday. He will either be receptive and thank you or tell you off. If he tells you off A you tried and B you just realized that "10 year veteran" has nothing to do w/ officiating ability and willingness to learn. JMO