The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Allow me to take some time to set the situation. Traffic was great yesterday so I get to the game site almost an hour and a half early (had games 2 and 3 on the night). No problem, I just watch the 5:00 game and try to learn something. Come to find out, the school didn’t get officials for the early game and the late game was cancelled. They ask if my partner and I can call “game 1”. I tell them probably, but my partner won’t be here for 30 minutes. Long story, I agree to start the game alone (took as much time as I could changing, checking the books, etc.). Talk to the coaches and captain to tell them I will try to call the low stuff but odds are I’ll miss a few trying to watch everything. At half time, both coaches stop and compliment the good effort, mention they notice some ruff stuff starting in the lane and would talk to their players (both teams decided to spread the floor so it was really hard to keep an extra eye of the post play with 6 players going at it above the arc).

Partner arrives just after the start of the second half. We talk at the first stoppage and I tell him about the coach’s observation and we try to clamp down by calling it tight down low. Things go fairly smoothly until just under 2 minutes. I’m trail and the ball comes loose about 3 feet above the key. Players from each team are trying to tap it out to teammates so hands are flying but no contact. Ball bounces away and H25 throws a hard, mean elbow into the chest of V10 (knocking her back a step and a half)…tweet, flagrant T…ba’ bye. Partner hustles into the group and starts to separate everyone with me and says, “I got this, take care of the reporting.” I go center court and report the T, home coach ask me what happened. After I tell him, he says, “She did that because #10 has been hammering on her the entire half.” I calmly tell him we have called the contact we have seen and ask him to get me a sub. He yells, “I have one minute!” I tell him “No coach, you have 30 seconds.”, point to the timer and ask her to start the clock and back out to the opposite side of the center circle. Home coach turns to me and says “You better get your sh!t together!”…tweet…T on home coach.

Been thinking if there was anything I could have done to avoid this whole scenario. It is probably safe to say I missed some banging in the first half, which contributed to the player’s frustration that manifested itself at the end of the game. Just felt I needed to concentrate on the action around the ball while alone. Could have told my partner what I had and let him handle the reporting, but it was my call. Never had problems with the coach in the past and his team was winning by 40. Can’t figure out what went wrong. Luckily there were no evaluators present.

Sorry for the long post, it helped me play it over one more time. Any suggestions or is this a case of just doing what you gotta do? Second game was very smooth; course it helped that the home team also won that one…but only by 55.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:53pm
Administrator

I think you handled the situation correctly except for one small matter. The foul by H25 agains V10 was not a flagrant technical foul, but a flagrant personal foul. Contact fouls while the ball is live are personal fouls not technical fouls. Meaning the V10 should have shot the free throws for H25's foul and if there had been no technical foul on Coach H, Team V would have a throw-in nearest the spot of H25's foul.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps you had a choice of flagrant or intentional for the foul call. I guess you had to see it.

On the rare occasion when I call a game alone, I call the game tighter than usual, particularly on screening and post play. I do this because I know I can't see everything, and I want to prevent any rough stuff from escalating.

Many officials I've seen working alone, or in a blowout, tend to pass on calls in order to keep the clock moving. Maybe you can wink at a few violations, but it's a mistake to ignore the types of contact that might lead to rough play.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Mark,
Oops, you're right...it should have been a flagrant personal. Fortunately #10 shot all the FTs and the T on the coach put the gave them the ball at the division line versus point of interuption. Got lucky on that one

Stan,
I agree and usually try to call it tighter. The problem I had was with all the activity near center court, every time I tried to work near the middle of the floor I almost got hit by the ball or set an unintentional screen. I try to stay in the middle when working alone so I can see the paint easier, just didn't work last night.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Just remember - NF doesn't use point of interruption - the ball is inbounded (after a personal foul) at the spot closest to the foul.

And, yes, there could be a difference.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Confrontational words

I've been working on confrontational words and what stuck out in your post was your reply “No coach, you have 30 seconds.”.

While this is generally a reasonable thing to say, in this situation it's confrontational since it contradicts the coach. Technically you are absolutely correct with the call and there is nothing wrong with your reply at all except that it doesn't diffuse the situation. Maybe it's bending over backwards, but if we can avoid a T it's probably best for all involved.

If I had the ability to think clearly enough at the time, a more calming response might be something like "I believe the rule is 30 seconds coach". Then to the table (loud enough for the coach to hear) "give me 30 seconds please". There is certainly the opportunity for the coach to continue chattering, but at least it appears to me that a difference in language has the prospect of calming them down.

I read this board for posts such as your so that I can gain experience through more than just floor time. I've learned a lot about the correct way to avoid confrontation by being married 15 years. Someday I'll be an expert.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Congrats LepTal

15 years is a long time to go without winning an argument. No wonder you officiate!
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Confrontational words

Quote:
Originally posted by LepTalBldgs
... a more calming response might be something like "I believe the rule is 30 seconds coach". Then to the table (loud enough for the coach to hear) "give me 30 seconds please". There is certainly the opportunity for the coach to continue chattering, but at least it appears to me that a difference in language has the prospect of calming them down.
I disagree with your "bending over backwards" here. The coach needs a decisive response. Your toned down version is going to appear as if you aren't sure and open the door for more criticism. It is obvious that this coach decided he was going to get his "two cents worth" regardless of the officials approach.

Quote:
Originally posted by LepTalBldgs
I read this board for posts such as your so that I can gain experience through more than just floor time. I've learned a lot about the correct way to avoid confrontation by being married 15 years. Someday I'll be an expert.
Boy oh boy.... your 15 yrs of marriage are a training ground for officiating??? Makes me appreciative of what I have... (Which is also 16 yrs of wedded bliss)
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 07:19pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
[/B]
I disagree with your "bending over backwards" here. The coach needs a decisive response. Your toned down version is going to appear as if you aren't sure and open the door for more criticism. It is obvious that this coach decided he was going to get his "two cents worth" regardless of the officials approach.

[/B][/QUOTE]I agree completely with Willie.All you are doing in this situation is telling the coach what the rule is-nothing else.What you're trying to do is almost the same as apologizing to the coach for calling the rule properly in the first place.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Similar Situation-Another long post-Sorry

Larry, I had a similar situation, except everything went well until my partner showed up. (He told me later he had "spaced off" that he had a game.) Was working a sophomore boys game prior to B/G Varsity. Have worked many games for both coaches (my daughter graduated from one of the schools last year (H)). When it was apparent that my partner was not going to show, they both agreed that I would work the game myself and they would instruct their kids to "play clean". From the outset, it was a great game. Caught the reach ins on top got some fouls on rebounds and shots underneath. At the end of the half, had 9 fouls against one team, 8 against the other - V leading H by 16. When I got to the locker room, one of the varsity officials who I have worked many games with was there getting ready for the varsity game. He offered to do the second half with me. The AD went to the table with me with 3:00 left at half, told the coaches the V official would work, but we would have to wait a minute or two. Both coaches said they wanted me to finish the game alone, they liked the flow of the game, and I was doing a great job (missing a few things, but getting the good stuff). Halfway through the 3rd quarter, I am surprised to see a ref running onto the court and assuming the trail on a transition. I had never seen him before, and that in itself made me nervous. Kept trying to call the same game I had been calling, but he made a couple of "questionable" block-charge calls - the kids seemed to take the attitude that "now there are two, we can start to hammer each other" and the game went to he** after that. By the middle of the 4th quarter, H has closed up the score. A minute left, V takes a shot that bounces off the rim, hits the top of the backboard and comes down - V gets the rebound -- THEN P WHISTLES A VIOLATION -- I was sure the ball did not hit anything else although I was lead and was watching for contact under the basket. H gets the ball, goes to the other end, passes it around and hits a 3 and wins the game!!! V coach was hot and as they entered the locker room yelled at the AD that they never should have let the other official on the floor, since they had already turned down the varsity official. H coach saw me as I was leaving and said I did a great job (of course, he won and shouldn't have and was happy). Did run into the V coach at a tourney the next weekend and he shook my hand and told me that nothing he said was directed towards me. I agonized over that game for several days, but felt better after having seen the V coach. I asked my assignor if I should have gone to the table at the first dead ball and talked to the AD and coaches since we had made the agreement at halftime (and they had passed up a good official), but he said that theoretically 2 officials are better than 1 (although it didn't seem that way that night). Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

WI does not allow this

WI (WIAA) does not allow solo officiated games. They have deemed it is an unnecessary risk and are not willing to expose anyone to a lawsuit. If an official wants to be the "nice person" and do the game solo, the official is voiding the support of the WIAA.

BOTTOM LINE: No official will work a solo game in WI.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Is the game forfeited by the home team, or is it rescheduled if only one official shows up?

[Edited by DMRefGal on Jan 8th, 2003 at 11:07 PM]
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 01:39am
We don't rent pigs

Re: Similar Situation-Another long post-Sorry

theoretically 2 officials are better than 1 (although it didn't seem that way that night). Anyone have any thoughts on this? [/B][/QUOTE]

I think most of the time this theory holds true. If the coaches didn't want this guy on the floor, they could have gotten rid of him, too. Just be glad that everyone left happy with you that night. Next time you may be right on time and calling with your favorite partner, and the losing coach will leave mad at both of you.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS

After I tell him, he says, “She did that because #10 has been hammering on her the entire half.
Who cares why she did it? She did it. She shouldn't have lost her composure. She did. You saw it and punished it. Nice call.

We all miss stuff during the game and surely that frustrates both players and coaches. However, they have a responsibility to maintain control just as officials do.