The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Last week I did a boys JV game. The other ref was a no show so I did the game myself.(Fun time). Just after the 3rd period started, the 2 varsity officials walked through the gym. The varsity game was after the JV game. They saw that I was alone, yet neither offered to jump in and help.

As it turned out, the game went fine, I have no complaints and neither did the coaches. I am just venting that neither varsity coach would offer to help out. We are after all, in this together aren't we?
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

You should have asked them. However this can be a tough call. Say an official jumps into a game in the 3rd quarter and makes a couple of good calls that the home team doesn't like. Now that official has top work the next game w/ a preconcieved attitude against him. Also as an official it is difficult just to step into the middle of a game. I have done this several times and it is really dificult to get a feel for the game. It sounds like you did a great job by yourself. Be angry at your partner that stiffed you!!!

Just some thoughts
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

You will only get that answer from them. Having said that, this is my best guess. Possible factors such as, only have the energy for one or two if they are going to do a G/B game. They have to get dressed and then how much time will they help you with, last quarter? They sacrifice a stritching and Pregame and possible problems in the Varsity game which is the game the school boby really cares about. After weighing all the factors, they have to ask themselves, is it worh it? Keep in mind they have been there, done that also.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Working solo, I've had a partner that finished the game in the other gym earlier than my game come over to help finish with about 5-6 minutes left in the 4th. It completely changed the game. It was going smooth and I had a consistency to the game. His entry that late in the game was disruptive. The game would have been better off if he had not joined in.

With many potential partner and being late in the game, I'd rather just finish it alone.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:35pm
Administrator

This situation is a no brainer for the varsity officials. They should have hustled their tuckuses into the locker room and been out on the court as soon as possible to finish the game as a three-person crew, no matter whether they got paid for the one half of JV game or not. No asking should have been needed.

Sure, it is tough to jump into the middle of a game, but nobody wants to officiate a basketball game alone; it is very difficult to do and really is unsafe to do so.

Who cares what the home team thinks if the new officials make a call or two against them in the jr. varsity game. Officials are paid big dollars to make the correct decision. The home team will get over it and live to play another day.

Somebody from you association should have a talk with those two officials because they did not do right by you, the game, or themselves in letter you hang like that.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

After reading your responses, I feel much better now. The game was fine so chalk it up and move on. Thanks for the input.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
This situation is a no brainer for the varsity officials. They should have hustled their tuckuses into the locker room and been out on the court as soon as possible to finish the game as a three-person crew, no matter whether they got paid for the one half of JV game or not. No asking should have been needed.

Sure, it is tough to jump into the middle of a game, but nobody wants to officiate a basketball game alone; it is very difficult to do and really is unsafe to do so.

Who cares what the home team thinks if the new officials make a call or two against them in the jr. varsity game. Officials are paid big dollars to make the correct decision. The home team will get over it and live to play another day.

Somebody from you association should have a talk with those two officials because they did not do right by you, the game, or themselves in letter you hang like that.
Mark, I tend to agree with Bart & Camron on this. If k2 wanted help he should have asked. That said, I myself have jumped in to help guys working alone but only if it really looked like they needed it. It could be that k2 was doing such a good job the varsity guys figured he had it covered.

And BTW, it's tuchus, not tuckus

[Edited by Dan_ref on Jan 8th, 2003 at 01:43 PM]
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Working solo....It was going smooth and I had a consistency to the game.
I am glad that you were consistent with yourself in your calls.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by k2explorer
Last week I did a boys JV game. The other ref was a no show so I did the game myself.(Fun time). Just after the 3rd period started, the 2 varsity officials walked through the gym. The varsity game was after the JV game. They saw that I was alone, yet neither offered to jump in and help.

As it turned out, the game went fine, I have no complaints and neither did the coaches. I am just venting that neither varsity coach would offer to help out. We are after all, in this together aren't we?
I have had times where the varsity coaches have NOT wanted me to jump in and help the subvarsity official in his game. They would prefer to have the varsity officials rested and focused on the game that they were scheduled to call instead of rushing to work an unscheduled earlier game.

There have been other times where they had no problem with me jumping in and helping. As a courtesy to the coaches (our customer if you will) I adhere to their wishes in this matter.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

MDN hit it on the head. I'd check with that ref to make sure he could use a hand and then bust butt to get in there. Unless the varsity coach or AD asks for me not to help, I'm there to officiate basketball. Getting an extra quarter in there is a bonus.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm in that situation (arriving to see a solo ref) it would depend on what I had that evening and the time before my game. If I had two varsity and the teams like to run, I may not offer because I only have so many trips up and down the floor at my advanced age. If time constraints mean I need to change and pregame, sorry. I'm there to do a job and need to take care of my business.

However, if it is after the game I always talk to the official at the first break in action and say "You're doing a great job, do you want to finish alone or do you want some help." That puts the decision where it belongs...on the official working the game. I've offered, its your call.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Larry,

Had the offer been made, I would have accepted. In my opinion, it is a school game and there should be at least 2 officials out there. Having one official makes the whole organization look bad. By the time I could have asked for help, they were gone from the gym.

I didn't ask them when my game was over because I had a good game so why create trouble after the game? I didn't need that.

Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 05:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Officials are paid big dollars to make the correct decision.
Mark,

Congrats. I could never put my tongue that far into my cheek.

Rich
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Mark hits a long Kobe three pointer in my limited view!I agree before a varsity contest you should be rested but unless the solo off. says don't help me I am out there as fast as i can and if the coaches don't like some of my calls they will get over it.When do coaches like all our calls.I once did a frosh soph game and half of a boys j.v. by myself because my partner had got sick and there was no one to be there.The var. guy showed up at halftime and helped me.Then he informed me that his partner couldn't make it and I had to do the var. game too!
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

I am a bit surprised that no one has mentioned the dreaded "liability" word yet in this post. Although there is no precedent that I am aware of concerning an official working solo, I can only imagine that it is a matter of time before some parent (who sees their kid injured in a game with an official working solo) sues a solo-working official. Of course, some attorney will note that the official or his/her association was negligent in not providing the required number of officials for the contest in question, thus leading or contributing to the injury. Which begs another question. Are there any associations out there that are refusing to work one-man mechanics for liability reasons? And if not, are there any lawyers out there that can elaborate on this issue?