The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

During the pre-game warm up A1 dunks the basketball. When do you report it and what is the propper way to tell coaches. players etc.? The official scores were not at the table (they were on a break).
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
If you decide that you saw the dunk (along with the other coach), just make a mental note to yourself of the player(s) number(s). Then let your partner know that you have a T to handle. Walk to the head coach of the team that dunked and calmly let him know that his player dunked the ball and that the game will start with a T. (You may want to let him know that he is now seatbelted for the remainder of the game).

When the table crew returns, let them know what you have called.

There is no reason to make a big display about the situation. You do not need to blow your whistle and give the "T" sign when this situation occurs. Just report factually and calmly to the coach and ignore the language that he uses to explain to the player how much trouble he will be in at the next practice.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Walk to the head coach of the team that dunked and calmly let him know that his player dunked the ball and that the game will start with a T. (You may want to let him know that he is now seatbelted for the remainder of the game).
Big, you left out the best part - the coach now has an indirect technical charged to him - only two strikes and now he's out!
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

The situation may call for a bit more than that, bigwhistle. Every situation is different, but you may want to give a short toot on the whistle to get the players attention and prevent the next two yaywhoos from doing the same thing and sending the coach to the showers and leave you wondering "why me". JMHO.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
If you decide that you saw the dunk (along with the other coach), just make a mental note to yourself of the player(s) number(s). Then let your partner know that you have a T to handle. Walk to the head coach of the team that dunked and calmly let him know that his player dunked the ball and that the game will start with a T. (You may want to let him know that he is now seatbelted for the remainder of the game).

There is no reason to make a big display about the situation. You do not need to blow your whistle and give the "T" sign when this situation occurs. Just report factually and calmly to the coach and ignore the language that he uses to explain to the player how much trouble he will be in at the next practice.
Why would you seatbelt him? I don't seatbelt a coach unless it is a direct T.

My two sense!
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007

See 10-5 Penalty: When the coaching box is being utilized, then the first technical foul charged directly or indirectly to the head coach results in loss of the coaching-box privileges (emphasis mine).
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Quote:

Because the rules say the coach is seatbelted with his first technical foul of any kind. See the bold italicized text below.

Rule 10 Fouls and Penalties
SECTION 5 COACHES' RULE
ART. 2 . . . The head coach and assistant coach(es) must remain seated on the bench at all times while the clock is running or is stopped except to:
a. Confer with bench personnel and players within the confines of the bench area during a charged time-out or the intermission between quarters and extra periods.
b. Attend an injured player when beckoned onto the court by an official.
c. Rise in front of their seat to spontaneously react to an outstanding play by a member of their team or to acknowledge a replaced player(s), but must immediately return to their seat. (See 1-13 – coaching box)

PENALTY: (All articles) Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in. (Art. 1b, c) If the error is not correctable under 2-10, or if the mistake as in 5-8-4 cannot be prevented or rectified, a 60-second time-out is charged. (Arts. 1, 2) The foul is charged directly to the head coach (Art. 2). If the head coach is the offender, the foul is charged directly to him/her. The foul is charged to the offender and also charged indirectly to the head coach. (Rule 1-13) When the coaching box is being utilized, then the first technical foul charged directly or indirectly to the head coach results in loss of the coaching-box privileges and the coach shall comply with the provisions of Articles 1 and 2 for the remainder of the game.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Thanks. I learn something new here every day!

My two sense!
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

This happened at our first game this year.

As the opposing team was leaving the court to do their little pregame talk, their coach has them line up and they are supposed to run at the basket, jump and touch the rim. They go through this, but the last three players in line all jump, grab the rim and pull it down. After the third guy, the referee walked over to the coach as he was leaving the floor and told him that a T would be charged for grabbing the rim during the warm-ups, he then came and told me (we were still on the court warming up) that the other team was assest a T and that any of my five starters would be able to shoot the free-throws.

After introductions and everything, the horn sounds to start the game, the official turns to the table, blows whistle and signals the T, points to the other bench and we shoot our throws and start the game.

Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 04:11pm
In Memoriam

GSF,you realize that the correct call in FED is 3 direct T's(one for each player that grabbed the rim) plus 3 indirect T's to the head coach,and he's also ejected,I hope.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

oh yeah..well...this was NFHS. I think the officail only called one because it was the first game of the year, first year coach and first year assistant. I've seen them play a few times since them, and they don't do that line before going in anymore. Think they learned their lesson.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 04:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
oh yeah..well...this was NFHS. I think the officail only called one because it was the first game of the year, first year coach and first year assistant. I've seen them play a few times since them, and they don't do that line before going in anymore. Think they learned their lesson.
That's fine,as long as you whisper to the new head coach that he just got very lucky-and why,and you also had a coach on the other team that didn't know the rules.If the other coach did,you could be giving yourself a real headache.

I'm not big on throwing coaches for the technical stuff either.To be quite honest,I might not have "seen" one or two of the grabs. I would have made sure that the coach,whether he was new or not,knew the rule from then on,though.The tough part of not calling this is the case where the other team ends up losing by 2 or 3 points,and your failure to give them the FT's they deserved might have been the difference.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

I get the feeling that gsf was the opposing coach... not the official handing out Ts.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 04:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
I get the feeling that gsf was the opposing coach... not the official handing out Ts.
Whoops,didn't realize that.Now it can really get interesting.What does GFS do if this happens again to him?Insist on the 6 FT's and the ejection of his coaching counterpart?

Glad that I don't have to answer that one.That's a question for a coach's board on what they should do in a situation like that.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
That's a question for a coach's board on what they should do in a situation like that.
They have coaching boards like this?!? I bet we really get good press on their posts!!! No wonder they all think alike and have their own interpretation on rules and conduct

(hawks,gsf etc hope you know I am just kidding!!!)