The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Situation dealing with coaches. (Little long) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6862-situation-dealing-coaches-little-long.html)

Mark Padgett Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:24pm

One thing to remember - no matter how many fouls you call or don't call, it makes no difference as to whether or not a player gets hurt later in the game unless the injury was the result of intentionally rough play by another player.

Incidental contact happens and players sometimes get hurt. No amount of previously called fouls will prevent this. Don't feel guilty when this happens and second guess yourself about not calling enough fouls.

mnref14 Tue Jan 07, 2003 01:24pm

Jerry - My Advice

Anytime a Coach: 1.Questions Your Integrity or 2. Blames a player's injury on you; you do not have to feel bad about giving them a T - it is just another foul - too many officials feel giving a T is a life-changing or game-changing experience - it is not. I rarely give a T, however, there is no way a coach should be allowed to approach you and accuse you of getting a player hurt. Athletes get hurt often, and it has nothing to do with you calling too many or not enough fouls. My least favorite thing a coach can say to me is: "I don't want to see anyone get hurt out here." The couple times I've heard that I've wanted to say: "Oh, well I guess you feel that I do want to see someone get hurt. Yes, that was my plan Coach - I came here tonight hoping some player would get hurt - that's my one and only goal for this evening." Its ridiculous, I've never gone into a game to cheat anyone - so don't insinuate that I am. Jerry, you were a big man to walk away; but don't let the same coach pull it twice!!!

Good Luck

MN 3 Sport Ref Tue Jan 07, 2003 02:30pm

Welcome to the board MNref 14 (wasn't long ago you guys were saying that to me...) Where do you work ball in the metro??? What level do you work??? I work in SE minnesota (rochester) HS and small college.

mick Tue Jan 07, 2003 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
I work in SE minnesota (rochester)
Gees, that's pretty country down there. Maybe cuz yer so close to Packerland. ;)
Love Red Wing.

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 07, 2003 02:44pm

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/stupid.gif

MN 3 Sport Ref Tue Jan 07, 2003 03:31pm

Mick:

Yeah we kinda have it made if you like not knowing what the weather is going to be like until you step out side 55 degrees today Jan 7!!! Yes Red Wing is awesome, I live about 1 hr from there, officiate there once in a while and would absolutely love to live there. As far as the cheeseheads they blew it big time (I am kinda a closet fan went to college in Madison) I'm surprized farve is not blaming the refs for this one too.

williebfree Tue Jan 07, 2003 03:50pm

Quote:

As far as the cheeseheads they blew it big time (I am kinda a closet fan went to college in Madison) I'm surprized farve is not blaming the refs for this one too.
MN 3 Sport -
Red Wing is one of my old "stomping grounds" as a teen. I grew up across the lake from Lake City. :)

I would rather live with a 12 win season than what occurred in the metrodome.

Why did you chose to attend Madison? :D

MN 3 Sport Ref Tue Jan 07, 2003 04:18pm

Willie:

Very true FB is made to be played outside anyways. I knew I could get someone to knock the Vikes if I made fun of Favre(cheeseheads are predictable) :D (remember I am a clost fan. I went to Madison to pursue a degree in Molecular Biology/Genetics which I now am putting to use obtaining my MS working in Immunogenetics at MAYO clinic (Rochester) Madison was a great town I am still a big Badgers fan...

mnref14 Tue Jan 07, 2003 05:25pm

3 Sport

Thanks for the welcome - this is an awesome site. I'm going to spread the word to our MN reffing brothers. As for me I work High School Boys and Girls Varsity and Men's College - D III in the UMAC, D II in the NSIC, and Junior College. I also do High School Football. I'm a teacher in the Twin Cities and most of my officiating is in the Metro Area. There are a ton of good refs here, a lot of great people to learn from. A lot of good ball too!!!

Later

rockyroad Tue Jan 07, 2003 05:30pm

Oh great - just what we need is another teacher here...let me guess, you probably teach middle school, right??? :) There are several of us edjicaters on the board - always glad to have another one...

mick Tue Jan 07, 2003 09:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
Oh great - just what we need is another teacher here...let me guess, you probably teach middle school, right??? :) There are several of us edjicaters on the board - always glad to have another one...
I feel smarter just thinking about that.

Mark Dexter Tue Jan 07, 2003 09:53pm

Quote:

Willie:

Very true FB is made to be played outside anyways. I knew I could get someone to knock the Vikes if I made fun of Favre(cheeseheads are predictable) :D (remember I am a clost fan. I went to Madison to pursue a degree in Molecular Biology/Genetics which I now am putting to use obtaining my MS working in Immunogenetics at MAYO clinic (Rochester) Madison was a great town I am still a big Badgers fan...

MN3sport - how's the basketball scene around Rochester? Mayo will probably be one of the (many) med schools to which I apply, and it would be nice to know what the officiating opportunities are up there.

ChuckElias Tue Jan 07, 2003 09:59pm

Quote:

I went to Madison to pursue a degree in Molecular Biology/Genetics
You working for Clonaid now? ;)

Chuck

MN 3 Sport Ref Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:03am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
MN3sport - how's the basketball scene around Rochester? Mayo will probably be one of the (many) med schools to which I apply, and it would be nice to know what the officiating opportunities are up there. [/B]
Mark: Lots of HS ball to work around here but college opertunities are limited. I work a few Juco's w/in about a 1 hr radius. All of the div 3 stuff I do is processed through the metro (minneapolis St.Paul) I have recieved these games via going to camps and meeting assignors.

MN 3 Sport Ref Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:05am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

I went to Madison to pursue a degree in Molecular Biology/Genetics
You working for Clonaid now? ;)

Chuck

actually we are working on genetically engeneering a coach that not only knows the rules, but only opens his yapper when he needs to coach his team. (No wonder we never get anything done in science.... Generatinmg a coach like that is impossible) :D