The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

My daughter is Officiating her very first BB game tomorrow. As luck has it, I'm not scheduled to work tomorrow. So, I am going to ref. with my 14 yr. old daughter in her very first BB game (they do one man mechanics). She is scheduled to work Pre-K "Y". She works from 9am to 2pm tomorrow. She does not have a clue, But she is very excited about her first Ref job which also happens to be her first job in life. I was trying to teach her the mechanics for two person tomight and i can't remember the mechanics when we have a foul call. Do the officials always switch, if so then that means the calling official might be on table side, or does the calling official go away from the table.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Both officials switch on each foul call unless the foul
is in the back court. As for being away from the table,
it would depend on the foul and location of the throw
in......

Tell her good luck!!

Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Bart: Congratulations that you have a young daughter willing to give it a try! The initial mechanic for a FOUL is "arm straight up with closed fist, blow whistle at the same time, then birddog (direct other arm toward fouler's hips)." The calling ref reports the foul to the table (where they can hear color and # of player). Then the two refs will switch positions (lead becomes trail, trail becomes lead). If you are tableside when you call a foul (trail), just report it, then go down and become the lead after.

That being said, remember these are pre-K children, and your daughter is very inexperienced. There may be times when you will deviate from "proper" mechanics. I'm sure your time will be spent teaching a lot (like just about everything!). I meant teaching the little kids, moreso than your daughter. Have fun, and good luck to the two of you.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Good luck to your daughter! What's her name, by the way? Tell her welcome to the world of women officials. I hope she loves it as much as I do, and decides to do it forever! It's a great job for a young woman to pursue at any level.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 10:48am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Very cool, Bart !
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Good luck to your daughter! What's her name, by the way? Tell her welcome to the world of women officials. I hope she loves it as much as I do, and decides to do it forever! It's a great job for a young woman to pursue at any level.
Hi, i'm Bart Tyson's daughter(FoulBuster) my name is Jamie. It's really fun, on the count of I was scared to death, but that's ok! I can't wait for mr next game I'm so excited!(and nerves)
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 10:25am
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson

Hi, i'm Bart Tyson's daughter(FoulBuster) my name is Jamie. It's really fun, on the count of I was scared to death, but that's ok! I can't wait for mr next game I'm so excited!(and nerves)
Attagirl, Foulbuster!
Don't forget to blow your Fox.
mick
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Congrats FoulBuster! You must be a unique 14 year old. As hot tempered as my daughter (also 14) can be at times she would be tossing people left and right (spectators included)
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Jamie -- I admire and envy you. I wish I had started at 14! Stick to it. When you have a lousy game and feel crummy, come and post here, and we'll all cheer you up. And when you do something that feels fabulous, we're all cheering for that too. And when you need some advice from another woman (regardless of your age, when you're on the court you have the authority of an adult and deserve to be called a woman) feel free to e-mail me or ask your dad if there's a woman in your area that you can talk to. Good luck!!
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Bart --

I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, and you aren't one of those "women don't belong on the court" kind of guys, and I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but it does seem kind of ironic that the title for a thread about a young woman is "Two MAN Mechanics."

FWIW
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thats funny, lol, I was in a hurry and since 3 letters is faster than 5 letters, well thats the best i can do.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thats funny, lol, I was in a hurry and since 3 letters is faster than 5 letters, well thats the best i can do.
I do understand. "2-whistle" is a nice gender neutral substitute, but hard to type and not nearly as euphonious as "2-man". But when I was looking for this thread, it took me a minute, because the title isn't very, well... apt.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 08:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

I just don't understand why we.....

....need a gender-neutral substitute.

To me, saying I worked in a 2-man crew has never implied that my partner was actually a man. I've worked with many good female officials (one even named my cat) and I'd gladly work with females every day of the week, as long as they hold up their half of the court. I can't say that my typically male partners are successful in that regard

2-whistle sounds contrived...forced even. Has any publication actually adopted this terminology?

Rich
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: I just don't understand why we.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
You're right. We don't need a gender-neutral term. I suggest that as of right now, we refer to our crews as "2-woman", or "3-girl" crews. How do all the guys feel about that? That's what I thought. Maybe that's how some female officials feel.

Quote:
To me, saying I worked in a 2-man crew has never implied that my partner was actually a man.
How can the words "Two man" not imply -- or at least, suggest -- two men? I don't think it's that a big a deal. I don't think it's demeaning to the fine female officials who work with me. However, I can understand why some might think it's more respectful not to use the phrase "3-man" or "2-man". I have no problem with "2-whistle".

chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Jan 6th, 2003 at 08:20 AM]
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: I just don't understand why we.....

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
You're right. We don't need a gender-neutral term. I suggest that as of right now, we refer to our crews as "2-woman", or "3-girl" crews. How do all the guys feel about that?

[Edited by ChuckElias on Jan 6th, 2003 at 08:20 AM]
Man to Man defense?

Stan