The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Question

Around my assoc. there seems to bee some disagreement on trail position.First case if I am on the left side of the key as trail and the ball goes into right corner does everyone say slide up to about free throw line extended or
come over to right side three point line area? Second case if ball goes up above on right say above the three point line should I go way up high right or down to observe? I had one evaluater pretty much say go down to free throw anytime its on the other side.Another college guy said go way up on the other side if the ball is up on that side.Being up is what I had been doing and got gigged for it.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 12:32pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
Around my assoc. there seems to bee some disagreement on trail position.First case if I am on the left side of the key as trail and the ball goes into right corner does everyone say slide up to about free throw line extended or
come over to right side three point line area? Second case if ball goes up above on right say above the three point line should I go way up high right or down to observe? I had one evaluater pretty much say go down to free throw anytime its on the other side.Another college guy said go way up on the other side if the ball is up on that side.Being up is what I had been doing and got gigged for it.
Ball low right ----> Close down to FT line.
Ball high right ---> Get close enough for a good angle.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Angles, angles, angles. Always be in a position to see the angles. You never want to be straight lined. If you need to be high to see through the play be high. If you need to be low. When the ball is on the far side, you need to see the paint and what is going on there. In 3 man it is the center that has the paint when the ball is being worked in low on the far side of the floor outside the paint. Same is true with two man so the trail has to move down to the C position to get the correct view. When the ball goes high again, the trail must move back out to where he can get a good look between the ballhandler and the defender. If you can't tell if they are six feet apart, you need to move.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

It is the angles....If ball is up high you need to be out there it is in your primary and it is your call. If you go to FT line and ball is up high away from you... you are now looking in a way you cant see the whole play... Heck you would not have a good view of the basket, and it is your primary

You should always work outside-in...

Personally I dont like trail coming too far down as lead, particularly if the lead is working strongside. Remember trail has all perimeter and weakside rebounds. If trail is down too low he/she might have a good angle for the perimeter but a terrible angle for the weakside.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 07:04pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

You should always work outside-in...

Did you mean to say this?
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Yep!

I have been taught that you work ( look) from the outside of the court in. That means you are not in the middle of the court looking towards a sideline with back to middle of floor. Working the far sideline by moving over BTW is still outside in...You should not be on the baseline standing near the paint looking toward sideline. You should not be working (as trail) closer to the FT line than players looking back to mid court... All those I have described above are inside-out.

To get the best view of the floor, you gotta work outside in.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 08:36am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Yep!

I have been taught that you work ( look) from the outside of the court in. That means you are not in the middle of the court looking towards a sideline with back to middle of floor. Working the far sideline by moving over BTW is still outside in...You should not be on the baseline standing near the paint looking toward sideline. You should not be working (as trail) closer to the FT line than players looking back to mid court... All those I have described above are inside-out.

To get the best view of the floor, you gotta work outside in.
Kelvin,
On rare occasions, the Center may have to work inside-out with the ball high in his area for an angle when the lead is a little tardy coming over.
"Always" is a concept I may try to use, but never quite achieve.
mick
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
"Always" is a concept I may try to use, but never quite achieve.
mick
Aren't "always" and "never" birds of the same feather?

(Huh! That was kinda poetic.)