The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Did Frosh girls, then JV girls. After JV girls, waiting around to be sure two Var officials show. Had seen one, but not the other. I was trying to be unobtrusive, but one of the assistant coaches from the JV game came over and asked a question about the game. It was a reasonable question, so I answered it, and there ensued a reasonable discussion, which led into a little bit of personal opinion from the asst coach about something -- all totally appropriate. But the end of the conversation was, Asst Coach: So are you doing something after the Varsity Game? I gotta admit I was surprised. I mean this guy is probably young enough to be my son, and the relationship during the game hadn't been what you'd call cordial. If he'd said it before the game, I'd have run him, but at that point, well, what's a girl to do? I laughed and said, "I'll try to forget you said that before I do another one of your games." And walked away. Sheez!!
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you still got it, Juules!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Sounds like you still got it, Juules!
Frankly, the way this guy was behaving during the game, I'm not sure I take it as a compliment!!
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 04:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
If he'd said it before the game, I'd have run him, but at that point, well, what's a girl to do?
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
If he'd said it before the game, I'd have run him, but at that point, well, what's a girl to do?
What would Howard say if I did that!?!?!?
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I gotta admit I was surprised. I mean this guy is probably young enough to be my son,
Maybe he was just looking for some motherly advice.

Well, looking through a man’s eye I would take it as a compliment but I can understand how it is offensive to you.

What really hurts me is looking at some of the JV coaches and knowing that they are the age of my soon to be 26 yr old middle son. I wonder how they would react if a bald over-weight guy tried to pick them up. (To say nothing of what the Mrs. would do.)

Maybe he was just looking for some motherly

Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Motherly advice? Man, I don't think I would have gone there!

Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 11:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
What would Howard say if I did that!?!?!? [/B][/QUOTE]Howard would probably say "You go,girl".

Coach Romeo is very lucky that you didn't go to Howard.You had every right to,if you were so inclined.The guy approached you after a game;he was out of line.If it's still bothering you,I'd report it to Howard,or whoever handles complaints in your association.

Now comes the tough part.If you get this goof again,you have to act like nothing happened before-i.e."clean slate" time.He gets treated like every other coach-until or unless he steps out of line again,of course.Then,you nail his a$$.

PS-I think that you did handle it in a very professional manner.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Inappropriate Asst. Coach and Coach

Funny you would mention inappropriate behavior by Asst. Coaches.
My partner and I had an incident last night after the game that was very disturbing.

My partner, a 15 plus year veteran, had a "conversation" with the Visitng Coach in the 1st Quarter of our Varsity Boys game. I saw my partner talking with the Coach right before a throw-in by his bench. It looked like my partner was telling the Coach he had to sit down. My partner handled it very professional and didn't look upset at all. I hadn't heard any complaining, so I was wondering what it was all about.
Well, at a time-out I asked my partner what it was all about. He told me that he had told the Coach he couldn't stand up for the entire game...that there were only certain times the Coach could stand.(See Rule 10-5) I told my partner that actually he could stand since our State has adopted the Coaching Box. (See Rule 1-13) But, of course he couldn't be standing just to "howl" at us...he had to be "coaching" or "giving instructions" to his players.
My partner and I have known each other for a long time...so I felt comfortable talking to him about this.

At half time, my partner got out the rule book and I showed him Rule 1-13. He still didn't believe that the Coach could stand continuously if he so desired. I told him that I thought the Coach could, but I would back him since he was the Referee tonight.

The second half went uneventful with the Visiting team losing by about 15 pts. BTW, the Visiting Coach did stand periodically throughout the game with no more warnings from my partner.

Now for the "Hairy" part.
After the game we were walking out of the gym only to be stopped by the Visiting team's Asst. Coach. He stated that there was "never any love for them" when they came to this school. I asked him if he thought we called a good game...he said "yeah, but your partner didn't show me any respect when he told me to SIT DOWN". He went off on my partner about treating him "like a kid" telling him to sit down like that. I wanted to just keep walking to the car...so I said "OK, Coach, we will work on that". I was hoping my partner would come on...but he stayed to tell him that was the rules, and that is why he had to sit. He did this all very professional...and not upset at all (no yelling)
About this time the AD for the Home team came out and heard the exchange. Some more words were said from the Coach and the Asst. Coach and then all of a sudden the Coach asked my partner if "he would like to take this somewhere else".
The Ad said "knock it off, you guys go to your bus", and we left without another word.

My partner probably will report this to our assignor and the State....any thoughts?

Dude
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Inappropriate Asst. Coach and Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
I asked him if he thought we called a good game...he said "yeah, but your partner didn't show me any respect when he told me to SIT DOWN".
You opened your own can of worms when you asked him this. Never, yes I said never, ask a coach this type of question or become involved in such a discussion after the game. Perhaps the best thing to do is to learn from it and put it behind you. JMHO.

Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Inappropriate Asst. Coach and Coach

Quote:
Quote:
I asked him if he thought we called a good game...he said "yeah, but your partner didn't show me any respect when he told me to SIT DOWN".
You opened your own can of worms when you asked him this. Never, yes I said never, ask a coach this type of question or become involved in such a discussion after the game. Perhaps the best thing to do is to learn from it and put it behind you. JMHO.
I hear what you are saying...but, I actually thought it might defuse the situation.

The Asst. Coach approached us FIRST, and was going to get his "two cents in". He was very upset, and I knew we called a good game. By getting him to admit this I thought it would bring him to his senses...no such luck.
IMO, my asking him how we called the game had nothing to do with his behavior. In fact, maybe it "disarmed" him somewhat. Like I said, he was going to express his feelings about being told to sit, one way or another.

I suppose if we had to do it over...just keep walking...and let them "vent" all by themselves. Hmmmmm, isn't that sort of what you said Tony?

Dude
BTW, what's your thoughts on a Coach standing for the entire game per 1-13?
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 01:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

About the coaches box. Was your partner addressing an assistant coach, or the head coach? Rule 1-13 states that the head coach can stand if your state has adopted the coaches box, so the assistants cannot. Your partner may have been right.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
About the coaches box. Was your partner addressing an assistant coach, or the head coach? Rule 1-13 states that the head coach can stand if your state has adopted the coaches box, so the assistants cannot. Your partner may have been right.
My partner was talking about, and to, the Head Coach....concerning him standing.
He later had the conversation with the Asst. Coach...which I agree, cannot stand except for certain situations outlined in Rule 10-5 Art. 2.

Dude
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Inappropriate Asst. Coach and Coach

Quote:
The Asst. Coach approached us FIRST, and was going to get his "two cents in". He was very upset, and I knew we called a good game. By getting him to admit this I thought it would bring him to his senses...no such luck.
IMO, my asking him how we called the game had nothing to do with his behavior. In fact, maybe it "disarmed" him somewhat. Like I said, he was going to express his feelings about being told to sit, one way or another.
I understand that he approached you first but I from your initial post, I didn't realize he was looking for trouble. That's what I based my comment on.

Quote:
I suppose if we had to do it over...just keep walking...and let them "vent" all by themselves. Hmmmmm, isn't that sort of what you said Tony?
Yep. If he's cocked and ready, the best thing you can do is be cordial and keep moving.

Quote:
BTW, what's your thoughts on a Coach standing for the entire game per 1-13?
If your state allows it, he can stand. If he's a problem, warn him. If he continues, tag him and sit him down.

The asst. should never be allowed to stand.

Live and learn, right?

Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Live and learn, right?
Right on!

Dude