The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
In the FIBA rules book a coach shall be disqualified when:
he is charged with two technical fouls as a result of his personal unsportmanlike behaviour or:
he is charged with three technical fouls accumulated as a result of unsportmanlike conduct by the assistant coach,substitue or team follower or a combination of a 3 technical fouls one of which has been charged against the coach himself.
now the qestion:
last year in a first devision game the coach of the home team has been disqulified after the refree charged him with 2 technical fouls but the coach didn't want to go to the dressing room and he didn't want to leave the court.
the refrees didn't resum the game and the were waiting for the coach to go out.
then the coach and all his team decided to leave the court and go to the dressing room.
now the refrees has beem waiting about 5 minutes and then when the team didn't come back the decided to call of the end of the game.(the game was alive in t.v)
now what do you think about the refrees decision?
what will you do in this situation?
should the refrees wait for more than 5 minutes to the team?
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
I agree with the referee the team is in going back to the lockerroom protesting the coaches ejecton and therefore holding up the game so my decision would be to terminate and forefit
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

If a coach is ejected and refuses to leave, tell him that he has one minute to leave the court or else his team will forfeit the game. Have the timer time it and give a warning with 15 seconds left - that will get the coach out of there.

In your situation, if a coach pulled his team from the bench, I'm interpreting that as him forfeiting the game - everyone hit the lockers. (YMMV - in NCAA rules, I think there is a specific way of dealing with this if it happens during a replay, etc.)
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 11:50am
In Memoriam

I agree with Mark.The language in FED rule 5-4-1 covers your buttocks if you do have to forfeit the game-"The referee shall forfeit the game if a team refuses to play after being instructed to do so by any official".