The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 13, 2000, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Question

Should have the last shot in the Miami Heat game counted it was behind the backboard. I thought this was illegal or is it just in highschool and college.
Old Sat May 13, 2000, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the replay once. Does the whole ball have to come from behind the backboard, or just any part of it? I thought that it would have been a marginal call on the replay. I don't see anybody making that call in "realtime"
Old Sun May 14, 2000, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

NBA....Is that basketball????
Old Sun May 14, 2000, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Wink

I saw the replay about 50 freakin' times and i think our fellow refs got it right!

The shot was taken from the side not from behind and to try and blame the referees for a bad call is really stretching it a bit don't you think.

------------------
Don
Old Mon May 15, 2000, 12:06am
certified Hot Mom tester

It sure looked to me like the ball passed over the backboard. If this was a game played under NF rules, the ball would be ruled OOB and the shot would not count. NF rule 7-2-note states "When the rectangular backboard is used, the ball is out of bounds if it passes over the backboard."

It makes no distinction whether the ball goes from front to back or back to front.

Here is NBA rule 8-II-b: "Any ball that rebounds or passes behind the backboard, in either direction, from any point is considered out-of-bounds."

Since the ball passed behind the backboard (the word "pass" here is not used in the context of pass vs. shot, but means "moves"), it would appear that the shot should have been waived off and the ball given OOB to the Knicks.

In defense of the officials, I think it would have been almost impossible to have seen for sure that the ball did that, and that it did not simply go in from the side.

[This message has been edited by Mark Padgett (edited May 15, 2000).]
Old Mon May 15, 2000, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

It is not clear to me how the rule is interpreted, even after a previous thread discussing this rule. It seems that since the top of the backboard is in, then at some point the entire ball pass from a position behind the backboard to front or the shot is legal. If you shot from the baseline, 15 feet out, and the ball hit the close corner of the backboard directly on top, it would not be out, right? In the case I am outlining, the ball starts from a position that is behind the plane of the backboard extended and must have some small portion still behind the backboard when it strikes directly on top (and some portion in front). However, it never was completely behind the backboard.

I don't think that the replays were definitive in establishing that the entire ball passed over the corner of the backboard. Even harder to establish that fact at full speed.
Old Mon May 15, 2000, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I think if the ball would have hit the top of the backboard it would have been OOB. I think they made the right call
Old Tue May 16, 2000, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Knicks got screwed but I can't fault refs. Unless they were definitely 100% sure ball passed from over back of basket, refs can't wave off basket. It's always easier to see it on the replay and second guess the refs.

JAck

PS Doesn't matter ....Knicks in 7 instead of 6. *grin*