The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 14, 2000, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

On April 15th of this year my 95 year old grandfather passed away at 8:05 am. I was scheduled to work 4 AAU basketball games that afternoon and evening. I immediately went to the first location and told them what happened and that I would not be coming to ref. Meanwhile, i had my wife call our assignor who lives in Florida( I live in IN) to also inform him of what happened. He told my wife he did not care what the reason was, if I could not find a replacement I'd better be there. Needless to say I let him know what he could do with his basketball games. Don't get me wrong, I love officiating, but I think it needs to be kept in the proper perspective! I was supposed to go to this assignors camp to try to move up Div 1 Womens. I also told him what he could do with his camp. Give me some comments back on what all of you think please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
foxyref
Old Mon May 15, 2000, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnfox:
On April 15th of this year my 95 year old grandfather passed away at 8:05 am. I was scheduled to work 4 AAU basketball games that afternoon and evening. I immediately went to the first location and told them what happened and that I would not be coming to ref. Meanwhile, i had my wife call our assignor who lives in Florida( I live in IN) to also inform him of what happened. He told my wife he did not care what the reason was, if I could not find a replacement I'd better be there. Needless to say I let him know what he could do with his basketball games. Don't get me wrong, I love officiating, but I think it needs to be kept in the proper perspective! I was supposed to go to this assignors camp to try to move up Div 1 Womens. I also told him what he could do with his camp. Give me some comments back on what all of you think please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did the right thing for both your grandfather and the rest of your family, and you shouldn't ever regret it. I once passed on an important HS game to be with my father-in-law as he went through surgery... made some serious points with my wife and my mother-in-law. Sounds like your assigner is lazy and a real jerk. No one needs people like this in their lives.
Old Mon May 15, 2000, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

John,
Never second guess your decision. You made the right one. There will be other camps and your chance to move up to D1 Women. You only had one grandfather. It was very selfish of the assigner to make such a comment. Guess he was showing his true colors. Best of luck in the future and my sympathies to you and your family.
Old Mon May 15, 2000, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

You did the right thing, no doubt about it. If he's so insensitive about something like this then he doesn't deserve to have you working for him. I've subbed countless times for guys who had much less serious situation than a death in the family and the assignor who calls and asks me to sub is very supportive of the official. I know if something like that ever happens to me that I'll be treated with the proper appreciation and respect for my family. I can't imagine any official not backing you on this one.
Old Mon May 15, 2000, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

John,
your assignor must have some nerve to do that. You did the right thing. I hope you make it to D1 women the best of luck to you & yours
quote:
Originally posted by slow_whistle:
John,
Never second guess your decision. You made the right one. There will be other camps and your chance to move up to D1 Women. You only had one grandfather. It was very selfish of the assigner to make such a comment. Guess he was showing his true colors. Best of luck in the future and my sympathies to you and your family.

Old Mon May 15, 2000, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by johnfox:

Soory about your grandfather.

You did the right thing. I look at things this way. 1)Health 2)Family 3)Worship 4)Work
and 5)Basketball.

You can tell your assigner to put a sock in it. If he is so arrogant, do you really want to work for him?
Best of Luck
Old Tue May 16, 2000, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Dixon
Mr. Fox

It is my understanding that Nan Sisk is the new AAU assignor. Is she the one who responded in this fashion? [Without comment, you can just answer yes or no--if you are willing. I will not publicly criticize, but would really like to know.]

Jim Dixon