The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Hey, did anyone see the kid from Manson H.S. on national television today? He was part of a short sports clip on CNN.
Apparently this kid broke Wilt Chamberlin's scoring record or something.
It was interesting to see this young man in a bright red jersey and a pure white short sleeve t-shirt underneath.

BTW, what are some of your opinions on this illegal uniform?
Myself, I enforce Rule 3-4 ART.6..."Undershirts shall be similar in color to the torso of the shirt..."
I don't give a "T" or anything...usually spot it in warm-ups or before the game...have them take it off then.

Dude
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Rook, I saw the same thing this morning and the very first thought in my head was, "illegal undershirt". Funny that you should mention it too. If I were on the game, the shirt would come off. It's a POE this year, isn't it? Uniforms, etc? I made a girl remove an illegal undershirt last night. White jersey, red t-shirt.

Chuck
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 10:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Rook, I saw the same thing this morning and the very first thought in my head was, "illegal undershirt". Funny that you should mention it too. If I were on the game, the shirt would come off. It's a POE this year, isn't it? Uniforms, etc? I made a girl remove an illegal undershirt last night. White jersey, red t-shirt.

Chuck
Would you T that player if she hadda been in the game when you noticed the illegal undershirt?
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

One of my mentors, who has officiated in the last three state tournaments, showed me a letter of reprimand he had recieved from the state association for this very infraction.

P.S. I would ask the player to leave the game until he is properly equipped. If the player attempted to return to the game with same shirt, THEN I would issue the T.

It seems to me that we had a thread very similiar to this at the start of the season...(Late October, early November)

[Edited by williebfree on Dec 28th, 2002 at 10:37 AM]
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Would you T that player if she hadda been in the game when you noticed the illegal undershirt?
No way. I don't think I would ever give a T for being improperly dressed. Illegal number, yes. Illegal equipment, no.

If he's in the game when I notice it, then he leaves the game until it's removed, period. (This ignores the fact that I apparently neglected my pre-game duties and allowed him in the game in the first place.) If he tries to come back in, tough. You simply don't play until you're properly equipped.

Chuck
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
P.S. I would ask the player to leave the game until he is properly equipped. If the player attempted to return to the game with same shirt, THEN I would issue the T.
This isn't a T. The player simply can't play or can't return to the game until the t-shirt is removed. It's no different than a player who has his jersey untucked. No matter how many times he does it, you send him out and you don't let him re-enter until it's tucked.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Myself, I enforce Rule 3-4 ART.6..."Undershirts shall be similar in color to the torso of the shirt..."
I don't give a "T" or anything
I hope not -- there's no rule book justification for a T in this case.

Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
I don't give a "T" or anything
I hope not -- there's no rule book justification for a T in this case.

You're preaching to the choir bob jenkins....

Dude
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

If you read 3.5.5 A, it specifically tells us, "No penalty is involved. [A player] simply cannot participate until the illegal items are removed."