The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

I was watching the game before mine tonight and got to see a howler monkey in fine form. Howler Monkey is whining up a storm and finally gets a T (rightfully so) by the referee. In response, the howler monkey yells (loud enough for everyone in the gym to hear), "that's the first call you've got right all night." The R walks away not wanting to give successive T's (he told me afterwards he didn't want to do all the paperwork required and figured it was more punishment for the jackass to have to stick around after making a fool of himself). After the free throws for the technical, the howler monkey calls a 30-second time-out. He lets his players huddle without him and he stands at the edge of the coaches box and stares holes through the officials for the entire time-out without saying a word. Just glares at them like a WWF wrestler. The officials just ignored him. Would any of you consider this unsportsmanlike conduct and give him his free pass to the locker room with a second T?

Z
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 05:48am
In Memoriam

This is JMO,but I don't mind the coach getting the last word in(while I'm walking away),as long as the last word isn't demeaning,derogatory or profane.As for the standing and staring,I also don't mind them doing that as long as they get it out of their system and now go back to coaching.It's just another form of venting,and it's usually more childish to me than anything else.Don Chaney at Temple pulled this one on national TV back in the mid-80's,and it's kinda been "de rigeur" for coaches ever since.I think that it's even listed in the Coaches Manual now.

I also won't second-guess any official that decides to nail the coach right away,in a sitch like this.Might sound wishy-washy,but I think each official has to make up his/her mind what is the best thing for them to do at that particular time in that particular game.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 11:11am
Esteemed Participant

The "that's the first call" comment sounds like the perfect time for a partner to step up and give him the second and tell him bye-bye...that's crew integrity and watching out for your partner...as far as the staring during the time-out - who cares? It's his time-out, he can do whatever he wants...I don't think I would have let the comment go as a partner, though...
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
The "that's the first call" comment sounds like the perfect time for a partner to step up and give him the second and tell him bye-bye...that's crew integrity and watching out for your partner...as far as the staring during the time-out - who cares? It's his time-out, he can do whatever he wants...I don't think I would have let the comment go as a partner, though...
I'm with you, rocky. As a partner, I'm all over that like stink on ...
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 12:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've had that happen -- where the coach stands and stares during a timeout.

I was so tempted to turn my back for the duration of the timeout, but why stoop to his level?

Rich
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 01:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

I was so tempted to turn my back for the duration of the timeout, but why stoop to his level?

Rich
When a howler monkey just stands there and stares at you during a timeout, put your thumbs in your ears, stick your tongue out and wiggle your hands at him.

Trust me - the fans love it.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 03:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
[/B]
When a howler monkey just stands there and stares at you during a timeout, put your thumbs in your ears, stick your tongue out and wiggle your hands at him.

[/B][/QUOTE]Then point at his pants and puke on his shoes!
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

Rich

....your killin' me MP!!...

Dude
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'll try that and get back to you on that one. :-)

Z