The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Last night varsity boys game my partner nearly fell over a camera man from the local newspaper while in lead position - 2 man. At the next dead ball, he told the guy to stay off the baseline and stay out of the way. Shortly after at halftime he followed us towards out room and asked why he couldn't be there. My partner tried to explain to him where he could and couldn't be in this small gym but he just couldn't seem to understand. We told him that that was all we had to say to him about it but he kept on. He asked to see the rule book for proof that he couldn't be there. Needless to say, the floor administrator was called in and walked him to his car. The guy may have been a headcase. But, for future reference, what rights does someone like this have and what should he have been told? Thanks, Ralph.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

One "right" he has if for his camera to be broken by an inadvertant kick or step!
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I think that safety is the overriding concern when officiating in any sport and that issue of safety extends to the officials AND to this cameraman. If push comes to shove you can always invoke rule 2 section 3 which says that the referee may make decisions on any matters not specifically covered in the rule book.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

The officials are in charge of the game on the floor. I have no issues with politely telling a photographer to find a different spot if he is where I need to be to call the game. In a HS game, there is also the safety issue of a photographer being close to the floor. I usually tell them that they can be close, but be ready to move if necessary. I have never had any problems, but your guy sounds like he just didn't get it.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I have not had a problem with photographers in game situations but I have had problems with photographers. My favorite was when one went up a telephone pole wearing a speedo to get an area picture of an event. He was not a pretty site when he came down. They just have a different mentality and you have to be able to deal with it. When you said he couldn't be somewhere, did you show him a spot he could stand to get a good picture? In a two man game, I would tell him to get right under the basket, between the lane lines. I won't be needing that space. But like Andy said, be ready to move if necessary.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Photographer or not this guy is still a spectator. He has no right to interfere with the game. This includes being in the way of the players and the officials. Do the same thing with him that you would do with any spectator who is in your way--move him or get rid of him.