The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Where I do H.S. ball the A.D.'s of each school are supposed to discipline players and coaches and punish them for bad sportsmanship.The problem I was a Var. girls game in a tourn. and there was a loud fan who seemed to get a big reaction from his fellow fans when he ragged on my partner and I.When I heard him talk out of the stands he was with the ticket takers and I reconized his face but couldn't place him.I looked at him and he yelled the old standby call the fouls both ways!I stopped my throw in and said who are you because I thought he was a coach of another level.He said he was the A.D. of one of the schools that were playing.I said I can't believe your doing this and he said I just want you to call the fouls both ways.I just watched in shock as he walked out of the gym.What are we supposed to do when the authorities are the offenders?I have notified my instructor and he has informed the district A.D.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 07:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
Where I do H.S. ball the A.D.'s of each school are supposed to discipline players and coaches and punish them for bad sportsmanship.The problem I was a Var. girls game in a tourn. and there was a loud fan who seemed to get a big reaction from his fellow fans when he ragged on my partner and I.When I heard him talk out of the stands he was with the ticket takers and I reconized his face but couldn't place him.I looked at him and he yelled the old standby call the fouls both ways!I stopped my throw in and said who are you because I thought he was a coach of another level.He said he was the A.D. of one of the schools that were playing.I said I can't believe your doing this and he said I just want you to call the fouls both ways.I just watched in shock as he walked out of the gym.What are we supposed to do when the authorities are the offenders?I have notified my instructor and he has informed the district A.D.
You could write the state. You could call your assignor. You could call the Principle of that school or Superintendent. You can do a number of things. This individual is representing the school or the district by his position. There is always someone higher up that individuals will have to answer to. Or you could let it go if you think or do not want to go back to that school. It is just a matter of what choice you want to make.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

I hope you notify your assignor (or local association's board of directors). Otherwise, he just makes an *** out himself at the next game and other officials have to deal with it.

Z
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 09:08pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40

The instant you discovered that he was the athletic director of one of the two schools in the game you were officiating you should have ejected him. His conduct casued him to forfeit any right he had to be involved in the game. You should have then notified his principal and the appropriate person in the CIF Section for his school.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
The instant you discovered that he was the athletic director of one of the two schools in the game you were officiating you should have ejected him. His conduct casued him to forfeit any right he had to be involved in the game. You should have then notified his principal and the appropriate person in the CIF Section for his school.
I agree with Mark. If he's the AD for one of the schools playing, his a$$ has got to go.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
...also had this happen to me...

I was doing a 5A boys game last season, and heard a loud voice behind me griping me out about a certain call, and when I turned back to go up the court it was my GAME ADMINISTRATOR!!!!! I stopped to talk to him between quarters, and told him that tonight he was supposed to be a part of our team, or I would have this officer right here take care of this. He didn't say a word the rest of the time, but I DID have our Chapter president call the School and talk to the Superintendent the next day.

Funny thing, I went to that same school this season..and BAM different administrator. In situations like this, they NEVER get better by ignoring them, just worse. Take care of it quickly and sternly and inform your superiors. You will make it easier on the next crew to come to town.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 11:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Is that feasible?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

The instant you discovered that he was the athletic director of one of the two schools in the game you were officiating you should have ejected him. His conduct casued him to forfeit any right he had to be involved in the game.
How exactly do you accomplish this? If he/she is your game management, then what if they refuse to leave? Do you forfeit the game? Do you wait until they leave before continuing? I realize that in theory this might be the right thing to do, but is it the right thing to do?

Peace
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
If he cares anything about his school, he will leave, but if it is REALLY bad, call the damn game. Most games will be on film anways, so you will always have the "eye in the sky" to back you up. Most state associations will back the officials to the hilt.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Just a little update on the problem with the A.D.I guess I wasn't totally clear but this game was a tourney game with his school playing but at a neutral site.By the time I found game Management he had left the building.I notified my assignor and he has passed it on to the district A.D.I'm not going to let this drop until I get some assurances that this won't happen again!
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

I ran into a similar situation 2 years ago at a 4A JV boys game. The floor administrator was a nice but mild mannered woman. My 2 man partner was real green. A fan was giving him lots of grief as well as the home team coach. I wanted to stay out of it so as not to show him up and I told him at every opportunity that he needed to stick the coach. He wouldn't do it. Finally in the 2nd half, things escalated with the coach and the fan. I went to the coach and told him that I had heard enough and showed him the stop sign. I then looked at the fan and loudly asked the table where the administrator had gone. The man yelled down that it wouldn't do any good to find her because she was his wife. The table confirmed that this was correct. She was no where in sight and I decided to go on with the game and see if things got better. They did somewhat and we got through the game after which I found and told the administrator what I thought etc. BTW, the irate fan was a no show for the V game. The take home message is that if you have a very vocal fan and a volatile coach and you don't take care of business early, it just gets worse as the game goes on. One stupid fan draws blood, he goes uncorrected, the rest of the bleachers get a taste of it and the hunt is on like a pack of hounds after a cat. If I could go back and do it over again, I would have T'd the coach the first half since my partner wouldn't, stopped the game and gone down the hall and found the administrator and had her husband removed.