Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
Thumbs up

Hello to everyone
My name is David and i'm from Israel
I was at last camp of Alan Richardson in England and i want to say that this camp is one of the best
I would like to know if there is campers in this forum
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 07:47am
In Memoriam

Interesting.

Quote:
Originally posted by ROMANO
Hello to everyone
My name is David and i'm from Israel
I was at last camp of Alan Richardson in England and i want to say that this camp is one of the best
I would like to know if there is campers in this forum
Romano,
Welcome to the forum.
Have you been to a lot of camps in different countries?

mick
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Thank you Mick
i'm very happy to see that there is an official's forum because in israel there are only players forum's....
I'm officiating in the second devesion and i have been in a few camps in Israel but the camp in England was the best.
more than 30 refrees from all europe came and the instructors were from FIBA and from the EUROLEAGUE
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Thank you Mick
i'm very happy to see that there is an official's forum because in israel there are only players forum's....
I'm officiating in the second devesion and i have been in a few camps in Israel but the camp in England was the best.
more than 30 refrees from all europe came and the instructors were from FIBA and from the EUROLEAGUE
Romano,
What are the characteristics of the second division?
How does it differ from the first division?
mick

We don't discuss FIBA rules here very often, because, by and large, we don't have those books. But I am thinking that many of the rules are similar.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

At first you have to be very good.
secondly you must be at least 2-3 years in the second league because you must have a lot of experience before you rich the toop and to the highest level.
look mick i'm only 23 years old and i'm in the second league for 2 years so i have patience.we have to be also in good ghysical shape because we have to do 2 times a year the fiba physical test.
how is the progression in you'r country?
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

what do you think about the Europe basketball and the europe refeers?
what is the level of most of the refrees in this forum?
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote by Mick :"We don't discuss FIBA rules here very often, because, by and large, we don't have those books. But I am thinking that many of the rules are similar."

Mick, many of the rules are similar. however, I referee FIBA rules (although they are somewhat modified in our area) and I am astonihed at all the differences between FIBA and NF (or NCAA) rules.

Let me mention a few: 1. 8 seconds to bring ball up to frontcourt. 2. 24 second shot clock (ball must hit the rim before the horn sounds) 3. Closely guarded rule, only when holding the ball, not on a dribble. Closely guarded rule is applied in frontcourt and backcourt. 4. For the ball to go from backcourt to frontcourt, only the ball or a part of the player needs to cross the centre line to have front court status. 5. No intentional foul exists (called unsportsmanlike foul)Penalty is two shots plus possession. 6. Penalty for Tech on a player: 1 free throw plus posession
7. Penalty for Tech on a coach (or bench): 2 free throws plus posssession.

The list is very long. There are obviously some discussions that are appropriate no matter the rules that we use. When people discuss game management on this board, it benefits all. When I see a post about false multiple fouls, I usually ignore those because there is no such thing in FIBA.

Happy Holidays.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
2. 24 second shot clock (ball must hit the rim before the horn sounds)
So if A1 releases the shot, the horn sounds and the ball goes in the basket, you waive it off? Wow.

Quote:
When I see a post about false multiple fouls, I usually ignore those because there is no such thing in FIBA.
We usually talk about false double fouls, but that's not a big deal. But I'm curious, what is it called (if anything) when B1 fouls A1. Then while the official is reporting the foul, A3 curses at B1? How is that administered?

Just curious, thanks.

Chuck
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Actually Chuck, I should have been more specific about the shot clock. When the horn sounds and the ball is in the air, the basket counts if the ball goes in, but it is a shot clock violation if the ball does not go in. On eof my least favorite FIBA rules.

As for the other situation. B1 fouls A1 and while the ref is reporting the foul, A3 curses at B1. In this case, the penalty for the first foul is administered (ex: 2 free throws) and then the technical foul on A3 is administered: 1 free throw and possession to Team B.
PS. If there were no free throws on the first foul, Team A would lose its right to possession of the ball as a result of the technical foul.

Another difference is that in FIBA, personal fouls can be called whether the ball is live or dead. One of my favorite FIBA rules.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

nice one:
player b-4 standing in the three-point field goal area,accidentally he scores in the worng basket.
shall 3 points be credited to team A?think well....
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Mick
i want to ask you something:
Are you refree in the NCAA or high school(or something else)?and what is minimum demands to officiat in this leagues?
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 08:18am
In Memoriam

minimum demands

Quote:
Mick
i want to ask you something:
Are you refree in the NCAA or high school(or something else)?and what is minimum demands to officiat in this leagues?
Romano,
I am a high school official that works a few small college games.
In our state of Michigan, we are only required to, once, pass an open book test and to pay a yearly registration fee. Other state have more requirements in testing, evaluation and official' camp attendance.

In order to work small college, the minimum demand is that you are lucky enough to work your first game and that you are good enough to be asked to return.
With higher level college officiating, there are requirements of camp attendance, rules meetings and time.

Regardless of the minimum requirements, it is, in my mind, important to walk onto the floor with as much knowledge and presence as you are able to glean.

mick

Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Mick
how many games a week do you have?
and another question do you have any organization or association that responsible for this high-school league?
are you satisfied from the games?
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 09:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Mick
how many games a week do you have?
and another question do you have any organization or association that responsible for this high-school league?
are you satisfied from the games?
Romano,
I work 2 or 3 games a week, and up to 6.
High Schools in the state of Michigan are governed by a state association. We have an officials' association that is inactive and that has no say as to which official goes to which games.
But, locally, we are in an archaic system in the Upper Peninsula. In Lower Michigan, the southern peninsula, is generally run more like the rest of the United States.

Caution: Do not judge how the game of basketball is run by my area, because my area is a little different from many other areas.

mick

Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

How old are the refrees in the high-school?
is there any good camps in you'r area?