The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Two Slaps in one game...

Funny thing about slapping the backboard...from a fan's perspective we are inconsistent. Sometimes they see us pass when an opponent slaps the backboard (when he is obviously going for the block and makes contact with the backboard), and sometimes they see us make the call when an opponent slaps the backboard (when he is just slapping the backboard for reasons other than trying to block a shot).

I believe players do not fully understand this rule either.
Friday night we had two instances where the backboard was "slapped".
The first instance the player was clearly trying to block his opponents shot and "slapped" the backboard as he missed the block...ball went in the basket...no call.
Later in the game...a player from the same team, that saw his teammate "get away" with slapping the backboard, decided to try the same thing. Only this time that player had no chance of blocking the shot, but in my judgement was trying to "slap" the backboard so hard that it would either intimidate the shooter or vibrate the ring so that the ball would not go in. (The ball, in fact, did not go in)
Boom..."T"
So now, anytime many of these uninformed fans see a backboard being slapped they will scream for the "T".

Hmmmmm, I guess there are probably many rules that players and fans don't fully understand....

Dude

Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

It's partners like that who don't know such simple rules that give the rest of us a bad reputation. Tell your partner to buy a rule book, read it and remember what he read.

Then puke on his shoes.
My partner was fine to work with. Had a good game in all aspects. But considering he is also a JuCo official, I was a little surprised he didn't know the rule.
Dave, I agree with the rest...I've got nothing. See you Thursday.

My two sense!
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 03:52pm
Esteemed Participant

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by ronald
A thought to mull over on. Let's say you got on a ladder, put your hand on the rim and had a player simulate slapping the backboard (obviously this is intentional but the idea is to discern if this vibrates the ring). Now you find out that this vibrates the ring. And you do this ten times and each time it vibrates. Can you now call a T based on that knowledge or should write Federation and ask them to change the rule. Just a thought.
What are you talking about?? You call T's based on what the rules tell you to call T's on...I don't care how many times you stand on a ladder and hold the rim, if the defender is making a LEGITIMATE attempt to block the shot and hits the backboard, you have nothing!!
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
This is how I call that situation.....

Most of the time the slapping of the backboard happens either on a layup or bank shot, correct? So here is a few things I use to help me call this situation.

If the slapping is a legitimate attempt to block the shot, AND the ball hasn't passed through the net already, I leave it alone, to matter how hard the slapping is. If the slapping occurs on the opposite side of the backboard, away from the side of the attempt, I T no matter when it happens. I picked this up from Steve Wellmer, and it hasn't let me down since I implemented it..
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Rocky,

first of all, try to understand the intent of my question. Show some decency in your reply rather than ranting in your reply.

Nevada gave an excellent reply to my thought by interpreting intentional to apply to "cause the ring to vibrate". Let's assume that it does not. Then we have a contradiction of rules that need to be clarified and SOOOO which freaking rule do I apply. I had a concern about the interpretation and your reply did nothing to clear it up.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 10:20am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by ronald
Rocky,
Show some decency in your reply rather than ranting in your reply.
Wow...11 whole posts and already you can tell when someone is ranting, and also chastise them for it...you're good...but back to the topic...it is NOT confusing at all...if the defensive player makes a LEGITIMATE ATTEMPT TO BLOCK THE SHOT, and in the process hits the backboard, then there is no T... don't know how much clearer the NFHS has to make it! And if that's ranting, oh well...
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Re: This is how I call that situation.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
Most of the time the slapping of the backboard happens either on a layup or bank shot, correct? So here is a few things I use to help me call this situation.

If the slapping is a legitimate attempt to block the shot, AND the ball hasn't passed through the net already, I leave it alone, to matter how hard the slapping is. If the slapping occurs on the opposite side of the backboard, away from the side of the attempt, I T no matter when it happens. I picked this up from Steve Wellmer, and it hasn't let me down since I implemented it..
I think you and I are in violent agreement. Key terms being legitimate shot-block attempt. Opposite side of the backboard is fairly easily discerned as not a legitimate attempt.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 02:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
[/B]
Wow...11 whole posts and already you can tell when someone is ranting, and also chastise them for it...you're good..... don't know how much clearer the NFHS has to make it! And if that's ranting, oh well... [/B][/QUOTE]Sigh,now Rocky needs a hug!

This is getting to be a full time job on this board!
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Let me help you

Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 02:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Yuck...