The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Int

A1 has a clear path to the basket, B1 chases him down & grabs A1 just as he goes airborne.
Are we thinking INT?
Should time & score matter?
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 06:57pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Wishy, Washy Enough?

In a HTBT moment, if I believe B1 is not making a play on the ball and this is NOT a basketball play, I might call it.

There's probably a lot more INT fouls committed than are actually called......especially at the end of games.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

I did not think that play in the Arizona v. UConn play was an intentional foul which I think was the play that prompted this question.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 07:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
A1 has a clear path to the basket, B1 chases him down & grabs A1 just as he goes airborne.
Are we thinking INT?
Should time & score matter?
Not based on the criteria you just stated. What kind of path they have to the basket is not relevant to calling an intentional foul.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 08:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not based on the criteria you just stated. What kind of path they have to the basket is not relevant to calling an intentional foul.

Peace
I disagree. "Which neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantage." I'm not commenting on the play itself, but the kind of path they have to the basket is absolutely relevant to calling an intentional foul.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 08:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I disagree. "Which neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantage." I'm not commenting on the play itself, but the kind of path they have to the basket is absolutely relevant to calling an intentional foul.
My point is that there is nothing in the rule that says we call a clear path to the basket any different than if they are under the basket. If a defender has no intention on defending the ball or causes excessive contract I agree. But not just fouling someone that has a clear lane is not the criteria in the rule. I also would not say this is an "obvious advantage" when there is a foul. And if that is the case any player that tries to block a shot and fouls a player should be an intentional foul (and does not fit any of the criteria of the rule).

And in the situation which I think this question was asked (Arizona-UConn game early in that game) that was not an intentional foul and the ball handler had a clear lane to the basket.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't really see a "play for the ball" on that play...
I was thinking about the how the same play would be called, late in the game or after a hard foul. That's all.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 09:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
My point is that there is nothing in the rule that says we call a clear path to the basket any different than if they are under the basket. If a defender has no intention on defending the ball or causes excessive contract I agree. But not just fouling someone that has a clear lane is not the criteria in the rule. I also would not say this is an "obvious advantage" when there is a foul. And if that is the case any player that tries to block a shot and fouls a player should be an intentional foul (and does not fit any of the criteria of the rule).

And in the situation which I think this question was asked (Arizona-UConn game early in that game) that was not an intentional foul and the ball handler had a clear lane to the basket.

Peace
Like I said, I wasn't commenting on the play since I haven't seen it. My point is simple, that in spite of the fact that there are other criteria to consider, a player fouling a shooter from behind gets more scrutiny. And yes, "obvious advantage" is directly from the rule, so I'm not sure how you can disagree with it.

Frankly, as described by tref, I'd call the intentional (grabbing a shooter from behind), but again, I haven't seen the play.

And this is just a ridiculous non sequitur.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 10:05pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
like i said, i wasn't commenting on the play since i haven't seen it. My point is simple, that in spite of the fact that there are other criteria to consider, a player fouling a shooter from behind gets more scrutiny. And yes, "obvious advantage" is directly from the rule, so i'm not sure how you can disagree with it.

Frankly, as described by tref, i'd call the intentional (grabbing a shooter from behind), but again, i haven't seen the play.

+1
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I did not think that play in the Arizona v. UConn play was an intentional foul which I think was the play that prompted this question.
I thought that it should have been.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I thought that it should have been.
I'll get a clip of it later and post it in the discussion thread.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 11:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Like I said, I wasn't commenting on the play since I haven't seen it. My point is simple, that in spite of the fact that there are other criteria to consider, a player fouling a shooter from behind gets more scrutiny. And yes, "obvious advantage" is directly from the rule, so I'm not sure how you can disagree with it.

Frankly, as described by tref, I'd call the intentional (grabbing a shooter from behind), but again, I haven't seen the play.

And this is just a ridiculous non sequitur.
Yes but an "obvious advantage" does not automatically mean "a clear path to the basket." That is an NBA classification for a certain kind of foul, not anything the NCAA uses (or NF) to determine an intentional foul. And no a player from behind does not get more scrutiny just because they fouled from behind, at least not with me. And I am not just commenting on the play in question, but the premise this has to be an "obvious advantage" as you state for this kind of play. Again I see a lot of fouls from behind that never get called intentional by me or any official for that matter or anything the NF or NCAA have said are intentional fouls. Just because you say it is a clear advantage does not mean the rules or interpretation supports your position just because the player is from behind. That is why I disagree, not because it rose to the level of an intentional foul or not.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Just for clarification, the NBA has a classification of fouls called a "clear path to the basket" foul. The play must originate in the backcourt, there must be team possession by the new offense, the foul and the ball must occur between the tip of the circle extended in the backcourt and the basket in the frontcourt, and when the player is fouled, there must be no player between him and the basket. A foul in the act of shooting with all of these criteria met would not be deemed a clear path foul rather a shooting foul. Penalty is two shots and the ball.

Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 05:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaref View Post
i thought that it should have been.
+1
Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 06:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

Son Of A Pitch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
There must be no player between him and the basket.
Offsides is a very confusing rule for some fans. Wait a minute. I'm being told by the control room that this is a basketball forum. Never mind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)