The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Maine: No shot clock. Mostly two-man during regular season. All tournament games are three-man assignments.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Illinois:

No shot clocks. All the large school varsity games I have seen this season have 3 man crews. Don't know what the norm is throughout the state.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
MA: shot clock, 2-whistle for all games, including playoffs
Also, no 10 second count in backcourt for girls HS.
Why, I have no idea. The shot clock is 30 secs.
We also have 5 full time outs (no 30 second time outs).
We also use the optional coaching box, until the coach is mandated to sit because of a direct or indirect T foul.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Alaska:

No shot clock
Most of Alaska is lucky enough to get two refs per game.
Some areas around Anchorage use three man.

Post season 2 man

AK ref SE
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Texas.
No shot clock.
3 man in certain areas and limited use. I know Houston uses three man for everything. Here in East Texas, we use it for some tournaments and whenever coaches ask for it. Final 4 will use 3 man.

Colorado.
No Shot clock
3 man approved for experimental use. Playoffs are two man.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Ohio

Ohio... mostly three whistles for boys varsity, mostly two whistles for girls varsity (although some large school leagues are using three whistles for the first time this year).

No shot clock.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Not to stir up a hornets nest:
Perhaps my mind has not quite molded to the entire offiicating mindset, but why the change in officials at Tourney time?
THinking as a former player and coach, this would be a difficult adjustment. I don't think there would be much argument to say that there is a difference between a game called by a three man crew and a game called by a two man crew. If my team and style are dictated all year by what happens in two man crew, why is it a good thing to be forced to adapt in the tournament to a different style of game? There is no question using a 3-man crew is better, but it would be better ALL year not just the tournament.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
Not to stir up a hornets nest:
Perhaps my mind has not quite molded to the entire offiicating mindset, but why the change in officials at Tourney time?
THinking as a former player and coach, this would be a difficult adjustment. I don't think there would be much argument to say that there is a difference between a game called by a three man crew and a game called by a two man crew. If my team and style are dictated all year by what happens in two man crew, why is it a good thing to be forced to adapt in the tournament to a different style of game? There is no question using a 3-man crew is better, but it would be better ALL year not just the tournament.
Yes it is an ajustment on coaches. But many places are still in transition from 2 man to three man officiating systems. Why the differentce. 1) not enough officials to call three man all the time in district play. 2) more officials get to call a tournemant game if they are done three man. In my area of Texas. You will not be forced to have three officials until you get to the state final four. The coaches get to choose two man or three man for the playoff games before that time.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 02:15pm
Jerry Blum

If I remember some of the reasoning about why they have stayed 2-man mechanics in the state tournament in Missouri is one the amount of extra money that is required and also the coaches would prefer the more experienced 2-man crew to a little bit less experienced 3-man crew. They basically don't want younger less experienced officals calling state tournament games.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Oregon: No shot clock. 2-man for everything.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 03:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Down state

Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
Illinois:

No shot clocks. All the large school varsity games I have seen this season have 3 man crews. Don't know what the norm is throughout the state.
Downstate areas have been doing 3 Man in Boy's games for almost as long as the state required it for all playoff games. I know the Chicago area was far behind the rest of the state in implementing 3 Person in games. I even have one game this year in a Class AA Conference that is 2 Man. But I was doing games in Western Illinois area with 3 Officials for about 5 years.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Marty Rogers
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
MA: shot clock, 2-whistle for all games, including playoffs
Also, no 10 second count in backcourt for girls HS.
Why, I have no idea. The shot clock is 30 secs.
Probably because that is the same as college.

My two sense!
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Pennsylvania Coach,

Why do you suppose the coaches are seatbelted in your state throughout the game? Did they try the coaching box and it didn't work or did the mighty officials union in your state get the box taken away before you got it?
Also, could you tell us from a coaches perspective, what difference it is going from two whistles during the whole season and then having three man crews in the playoffs? Our state probably won't go to three man in the playoffs unless they have three man throughout the season.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 09:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I used to live in PA, and I believe they've never instituted a box.

Personally, I don't care how big the coach's box is. Frankly, a 28-foot box would be fine by me. A frustrated coach can get a lot out of his system if he can walk a bit. And my standards for acceptable behavior don't change much regardless of where a coach is.

I worked a varsity girls' game Friday night where I called a technical on a visiting team head coach (the home team snapped a 40-game losing streak, BTW, and the game wasn't close). He was sitting on the bench the entire time, even though he could've been using the coach's box. Great tantrum, though. Not a peep after the T, either.

Having worked in state with a box and states with a seatbelt rule, I don't think the coaches behave any differently just because they can stand and work from within a box. At least with a coaching box I don't have to worry about whether a coach is kneeling in front of his bench (which was a pet peeve of my supervisor in a seatbelt state I worked in).

Rich
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
WEST TEXAS

Well here in the western part of Texas, (we are so big I guess we can divide into two, eh Tim?) We use 3 person crews for all 5A, 4A, and some 3A districts if the schools in the distric vote it in during the fall meeting of all the coaches for that district. We have given the schools a financial break of $10/official to help convince their superiors to take on the expense of another official, PLUS we have given coaches clinics showing how much better a 3 person game can be officiated. We don't use the shot clock, although I wish we did, and part of that is because of the expense of the shot clock itself on the schools. Some of the newer schools that have been built already have a shot clock installed so I hope that we can get it in the next few years. It sure would help prevent the boooring stalling that can occur now. That is why I enjoy my college games sometimes more than my HS.