The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   State Info (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6565-state-info.html)

Nevadaref Fri Dec 13, 2002 08:59am

The response to a shot clock comment in another thread made me interested in learning which states not only use a shot clock, but also 3-man crews for HS games.
Would you please list your state and whether you use shot clocks (please note how many seconds and if it is for boys or girls or both) and three officials or only two. Also, if your state switches to three officials for playoffs please say so.
Thanks.

Nevadaref Fri Dec 13, 2002 09:02am

For example:

Nevada has no shot clocks and uses 3-man for both boys and girls 4A games (largest school classification) and 2-man for all others during the regular season, then uses 3-man for all levels in post-season play.

firedoc Fri Dec 13, 2002 09:09am

We have different rules in different counties. In Nassau and Suffolk counties (Long Island, NY) we use a 35 second shot clock in high school. We also use two whistles in a game, but there is a move afoot to use three man mechanics in some playoff games. This could open the door in the future to the use of three man in all games at the high school varsity level.

ChuckElias Fri Dec 13, 2002 09:14am

MA: shot clock, 2-whistle for all games, including playoffs

bard Fri Dec 13, 2002 09:21am

Indiana

No shot clock.
3-man is not required, but some larger schools use 3-man for varsity contests.
3-man will be used for tourney games in the spring. (Maybe not for the 1st round, but at least for the more advanced rounds.)

zebraman Fri Dec 13, 2002 09:22am

Washington State: 2 officials for all games.

Shot clock in girls basketball only (30 seconds).

Z

Ref42 Fri Dec 13, 2002 09:38am

Maryland:

Almost all Public Schools throughout the state use 2-man. The DC Catholic league which includes MD schools uses all 3-man. The playoffs in Maryland are 2-Man the first two rounds, but then for the regional semi-finals, regional finals, state semi's, and state finals it's 3-man. No shot clock in boys basketball anywhere in MD.

However, the girls in Maryland play with a 30 sec shot clock.

BigJoe Fri Dec 13, 2002 09:41am

Minnesota has two man officials for all H.S. games. No shot clock. There is movement afoot for three man mechanics to be taught in case we go that way in the near future. There are some conferences in Minneapolis that use three man, but all playoff games are two man.

williebfree Fri Dec 13, 2002 09:47am

Much Like Big Joe

Wisconsin has two whistles for all H.S. games. No shot clock. Also experimenting with three whistle crews in some conferences in Milwaukee area (so I have been told), but all playoff games are two whistle.

With the school budgets as they are, I do not foresee any swift switch to 3-whistle games

[Edited by williebfree on Dec 13th, 2002 at 08:49 AM]

klancie Fri Dec 13, 2002 09:52am

In MO, no shot clock, 2-man crews, except for certain playoff games that have 3-man. Schools refuse to pay for the 3rd ref.

A Pennsylvania Coach Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:14am

Since Ref in PA is a little slow :)

In Pennsylvania we have:

no shot clock (they might in the Philly Public League or Catholic League, I don't know, but those leagues aren't part of the statewide association, the PIAA)

two officials regular season

three officials post-season

Also, we start with the seat belt rule. If you are standing, it is assumed you are requesting a timeout.

Jerry Blum Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:16am

Klancie,

Where in MO are you? I ref in Mid-Missouri(Jefferson City area) and majority of our games are 2-man but tourney championship games and larger school games have been using 3-man for a couple of years at least. And as far as I know all playoff games are done 2-man. Even the final four in Columbia.

APHP Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:54am

In South Carolina we use 3 man on all varsity games and attempt to use 3 man on JV's if enough officials are available for the JV's...no shot clock.

BktBallRef Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:11am

I NC, 3 man is required for all varsity games. We use it for as many JV games as possible as well.

What's a shot clock? :)

Ridgeben Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:22am

In Louisiana no shot clock, and most regular season games use 2 man. Although a coach can request a 3 man crew (strictly a budgetary move). 3 man playoffs.