The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 28, 2000, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Question

A few threads ago, there was comment about the rapant carrying the ball in NCAA.

What about the travelling violations? It seems like the officials use a random number generator to decide which ones to call!!

For example, players stepping out to catch a pass near the 3-point line will often catch the ball on one foot (the pivot, now inside 3-point land), step with the other foot (outside 3-point land), and then lift their pivot so that they can threaten a 3-point shot. This move is now commonplace. Even at the high school level it is something that is called only spuriously. Not only is this a violation, it also gives the ball handler a serious advantage.

Any suggestions on how to handle this situation? Has there been any mention of this at higher levels as a point of emphasis?

Comments??
Old Tue Mar 28, 2000, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

David, I'm not sure what you mean. It sounds like you are describing a fall-away jump shot. I mean if you have the ball and you step back with your non pivot foot and lift your pivot foot as you are releasing the ball its good as long as the pivot foot doesn't touch down before the ball is released (like a reverse drop step).
If your mean he steps back with the non pivot foot and then moves the pivot foot (touches down) then shoots - it is clearly a WALK.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2000, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

this subject comes up at least once a month.

As DrC accurately states, lifting of the pivot is not a travel. If the pivot returns to the floor before releasing the ball, then you have a travel.

...otherwise, every lay-up would be a travel.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2000, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Oops - didn't make myself clear.

Here's the scenario again. Player comes out towards the 3point line to receive a pass. Catches ball on one foot (now the pivot) while that foot is within the 3point line. Then places other foot outside the 3point line. What often happens at this point is that the player switches pivot feet ie. the foot outside the 3point line suddenly (and magically!) becomes the pivot foot. By switching pivot feet, the player can threaten a 3point shot. If that player had maintained the true pivot foot, they would not be able to threaten a 3point shot. Hence, this violation has clearly gained an advantage for the ball handler.

We all know this is travelling, however, it is done all the time in NCAA and is replicated at the high school level (check it out in the upcoming Final Four). Sometimes, refs call it as travelling. Often, it is not called.

Why is this violation NOT being called consistently? Should it be called??
Old Tue Mar 28, 2000, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

David, I'm a novice, albiet not young, referee learning to referee under FIBA rules in Canada. Your description of the play has me a little confused so , for my own understanding, I'll try to break it down.
The player receiving the ball catches the ball on one foot ( lets assume the right foot )establishing it as the pivot foot inside the 3 point arc.
The player then places the non pivot foot ( left foot under my assumption ) outside the 3 point arc.
The pivot foot is lifted and a shot is attempted.
My interpretation of the rules is that if a field goal is attempted while standing or jumping off solely the non pivot ( left ) leg prior to touching the pivot foot back down then there is no travel and the attempt would be legitimate. However, if the original pivot foot ( right foot )touches the floor, presumably to attempt a jump shot for example, then it is in fact a travel violation precluding any field goal attempt.
Any feedback on my assessment of David's case scenario would be greatly appreciated

Old Wed Mar 29, 2000, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Hey Bull Ref Run,

Your scenario in the last posting would also be travelling. Your scenario is usually called by most officials as travelling ie. landing on both feet, moving one foot to establish a pivot and then moving the pivot. The case that involves landing on one foot (the pivot), stepping with the other, and then stepping with the pivot (to get outside the 3point line) is often let go.

Harper - Note: my scenario does not involve actually taking a shot, just threatening to take a shot. The whole idea (and you can check it out in the upcoming Final Four games) is that the person changes their pivot feet to gain an advantage further from the basket, often outside the 3point line. Oh, I have refereed FIBA for a couple of years out of Calgary and this same violation happens regularly.

Cheers!
Old Wed Mar 29, 2000, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

David, as you described in your last reply,
IT IS A WALK. I see it happen sometimes and I don't know why they don't call it either. It's like the carry. They seem to call every other nickle and dimer. Maybe it is magic, rather than a slight of hand, it's a slight of foot. Let's be glad we don't have rabbits poping out!
Old Wed Mar 29, 2000, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

What if he has both feet on the floor when he receives the ball. He has not established his pivot until he makes the first step back across the 3 point line. When he moves his second foot behind the line is that travelling? I've seen this a few times and I freeze. Help I need to thaw out!
Old Thu Mar 30, 2000, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Kudos to David. My son, who is an aspiring basketball player and soccer referee, is extremely knowledgeable about the rules and calls every pivot switch he sees. We both notice that it occurs at the 3 point line, as frequently as once every 5-10 possessions in some games. If no pressure on the player, there is never a call. They do call picking up the pivot foot on a drive to the basket fairly consistently, but not the pivot switch for a three point thrreat or shot.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

David, I know the exact play you are talking about, and I am guilty of not calling it a travel. Next year, I am going to call it. It is a blatent violation, and needs to be called. I have a feeling that this will become a point of emphasis in the very near future, as more and more players are starting to do it.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

What you are saying is that A1 catches the ball as if it's a Jump stop. A1 then can use either foot as a pivot. Say A1 steps back behind the arc with the right foot (making the left foot the pivot foot). When that left foot is picked up, that player in one motion
better be shooting or passing. If not, IT IS clearly Travelling!
At this time, I want to thank everyone who
responded to any posting I put up. This was my 1st year as an official Ref (i've been doing it for 5 years as a volunteer). I had a blast (despite some coaches confrontations).
I have umpired the past 5 years, so I was use
to somebody disliking calls. Tomorrow is the last day unless I do any Summer leagues. I hope everyone has a great summer and hopefully I'll hear from some of you in the baseball or softball discussion boards!!!
To once again quote from my favorite movie (Blazzing Saddles) - Keep the Faith Brothers.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

To be clear on the violation that I see most frequently, it is a player who is cutting out from the paint area to the wing, does a 1-2 stop, with (for example) right foot touching inside the line first, left outside the line second, then using left as as pivot to drop step the right foot outside the line and square up for the three pointer. It is a bang-bang play, and seems to be a set motion that players have developed for popping out for a three. It is blatantly illegal but happens all the time in NCAA. I coach my players on maintaining the proper pivot foot after a 1-2 stop, but this bad example is out there on a daily basis during the college hoops season.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

I hope this doesn't get confused with the play where as the ball comes up, on his dribble, and a split sec. before he grabs the ball he does get the second foot down, then steps back for the three. As you said it is a bang, bang play.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Say A1 steps back behind the arc with the right foot (making the left foot the pivot foot). When that left foot is picked up, that player in one motion
better be shooting or passing. If not, IT IS clearly Travelling!

What if the player picks up his pivot foot but does not put it back down, but is also not passing or shooting. Is it still a travel? Say just as he lifts his pivot he realizes what he has done and then just stands there with his pivot foot off the floor. Is that still traveling if he does not pass or shoot?
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Legal. I saw a local D1 game Player did what you described, couldn't find a player to pass before he lost his balance and put his foot down. Official was on top of his game, offical waited til the player put his foot down, then called a travel.