View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 28, 2000, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Duck -

This thread has dealt with a lot of what ifs, and in the scenario you describe, it is not a travel. In the one we have seen, a player is cutting out from the basket, does a one two stop, with the inside foot (obviously) touching first, the outside foot second. The player is still back to the basket, has by rule established the inside foot as the pivot, and has the pivot foot inside the three point line. He immediately pivots using the outside foot to get his other foot into three point territory. He establishes a triple threat position facing the basket, both feet on the floor ouside the three point line. Clearly a travel. Happens every D1 game I watch.

I agree with the BBALL21, however, that D1 refs probably can't call this every time down the floor. The only thing that would eliminate this is someone in authority wanting it to be a point of emphasis. As a coach, with this being a set part of offense, it leaves me wondering what I should teach my guards and small forwards as I prepare them for HS play. This maneuver is fundamentally wrong, but has become basic footwork for shooters who have to work hard to get free for a three.