The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

College game. A1 drives to the basket. Immediately in front of him is A2 then B1. A1 goes up for the easy basket and B1 pushes A2 into him. Basket goes in.

In the game there was no call. The official gave B1 an ear full as they were headed to the other side of the court.

The game so far (2nd q) has not been physical at all.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

If a foul were to be called ...

If a foul were to be called in this situation, B1 fouls A2 while A1 is shooting, A2 bumping A1 while in the air - it would just be a common foul of B1 fouling A2. So, you have a good hoop by A1 and the ball goes to team A for a throw-in at the nearest spot. If team A were in the bonus situation, free throws would be awarded to A2.

I think you may have been asking if A1 could go to the line in this situation if a foul were called - the answer is no. B1 fouled A2, not A1 - no matter that A2 crashed into A1 while A1 was in the act of shooting. I know you asked for the NCAA interpretation. I believe it is not different than the NFHS ruling in this case.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Your only option in the NCAA or HS -- if you want to award FTs -- is to call an intentional foul. It certainly seems intentional, especially if A2 was pushed all the way back into A1. If it's not severe enough to be intentional, then the most you could have would be a common foul on B1 and award bonus FTs to A2, if applicable.

In the NBA, this situation is specifically covered by the rules. If the basket goes in, then you score it, charge B1 with a common foul and award A2 1 FT to complete the "3 point play", regardless of the penalty situation. If the shot does not go in, then award A1 2 FTs since the foul was committed in the act of shooting (NBA Questions & Answers #146, pg. 32).

[Edited by ChuckElias on Dec 11th, 2002 at 08:17 AM]
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

I think this often happens without intent -- the defender is trying to get to the guy shooting the layup and can't get there without pushing the other offensive player. I kinda like the NBA solution, though.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Good stuff. The push was definitely intentional to stop the shooter. Two handed push. No attempt was made to get to the shooter.
The official handled it well. I don't believe it happened again. Although he may have gotten the same results by calling the foul and awarding the ball to team "A".
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Had to see it obviously. But if it was hard and intentional, and clearly intentional, I think the ref should have punished it with the call. Sure it results in a potential 6 or 7 point possession, but the ref didn't decide to push the opponent.

Now if the push happened before the player was in the act of shooting, then I can understand the no-call because you may not want to take points off the board.