The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 02:11pm
Jerry Blum

Unhappy

Last Saturday I was doing the Boys 3rd place game of a tournament with 3man mechanics. Game was pretty physical and there had been a couple of controversial calls as far as the fans and Coaches were concerned. I was at Center opposite trail, there was a 3pt shot from the top of the key, defender came to block out shooter once the shooter floor and there was a collision and ther trail ended up calling a foul on the shooter because as he happened to be falling he grabbed the defender.(This was just background info for the big problem)

After foul is called I switched to the C and we were heading the other way, and I was right in front of the coach who's player had just had the foul called on him. The coach was talking to me trying to tell that the kid who got fouled was a dirty player and he wanted to pay attention to him. Well as the coach is talking to me the player he was complaining about walks by and bumps into the coach. Well obviously the coach gets really upset and is yelling at the kid, at me and just generally jsut very upset that he got bumped by this kid. Luckily I was able to get this under control by getting the coach to sit down on the bench and the player back out on the floor. Now I can't remember exactly what the coach said after he got bumped, but I got a call from the AD today asking me if I remembered what was said because he had gotten a complaint about the coach yelling at the player or something.

I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation of suggestions about ways to handle this situation.

Thanks.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Never been in that situation, Jerry. I'm glad you were able to settle the coach and get the kid away from him. Did you feel that the bump by the kid was at all intentional? If so, I would think it could easily be construed as unsportsmanlike. Initiating physical contact with the opposing coach. Not a good sitch.

Chuck
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 02:30pm
Jerry Blum

At the time I had no reason to think it was, but I had been talking with the coach and didn't notice the kid until after he bumped the coach. Looking back on it now I am pretty sure that he did it on purpose.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Wow!

Wow! That is an interesting one.

Was the coach on the floor or in his coaching box area OOB. Was the player avoiding a collision with you? Did the kid make any comments (Oooops. Sorry. Make a whole, a$$hole)?

I'm surprised that a foul was called on the shooter. Generally, a shooter doesn't fall down unless there was contact made by the defender... in which case the defender should have been given the foul instead of an after-the-shot foul against the offense.

From what you have told us this kid was definitely a dragon (Clinician Bob Olson) and needed to be axed back into a less trouble making attitude. Just a touch of that kind of behavior can unexpectedly blow up.

I would have been stunned after the collision with the coach. Thanks for the situation explanation. Now I would be ready to T that dragon.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
I was at Center opposite trail
Darn right by gum, I hope you weren't on the same side as the trail!

Quote:

After foul is called I switched to the C
Now I'm confused. I thought you were already Center. Do you mean that you were opposite table and then switched with the trail and came table side? If so, why are you switching on a foul in the backcourt that doesn't involve free throws? NFHS mechanics are to not switch in the backcourt no matter which official calls the foul unless free throws will be shot at the other end.

Quote:

Well as the coach is talking to me the player he was complaining about walks by and bumps into the coach. Well obviously the coach gets really upset and is yelling at the kid, at me and just generally jsut very upset that he got bumped by this kid.
Darn kids! (I'm also including the coach in that.)

Send them both home to the babysitter!

Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm not very familiar with 3-man mechanics, but why would you switch after a foul and end up on the same side of the court as the coaches? I thought the point of switching after a foul in 3-man was to get as far away from the coaches as possible.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

College women's mechanics put you table side after a call. From what I've seen (observer, no participant), it allows the coach to talk to you without yelling across the floor. It seemed to defuse situations quite well.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 01:39pm
Jerry Blum

Part of the issue that you are having with the mechanics is that this was my first Varsity game using 3 man mechanics so our switching may not have been perfect. I wasn't the one that called the foul so I switched to table side and my partner that called it went opposite the table and became the trail.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

BTW, If he went opposite on a shooting foul, he'd be the C!