The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

girls varsity game -- checking the book at the 12 minute mark, one of the starters is listed as # 8; brought it to the coach's attention; he said no one had ever said anything about her # and this was her second year on varsity; I told him if she changed jerseys now, no problem; but they had no other jerseys, so he sends her out to start the game; first time I've ever started a game with a T -- did I do this correctly?
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

absolutely!

Absolutely! You did it correctly! It is the team's responsibility to assure that the numbers are legal. We have to enforce those types of rules to maintain the integrity of the game. ESPECIALLY at the varsity level. Otherwise we'll have ridiculous numbers like they have in the nba and were never meant to be bball numbers!

just my humble opinion!
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Just make sure that you penalize it correctly. In your game the T is charged to the player, not the head coach (directly or indirectly), and counts as a team foul.

I say this because a buddy of mine started a game with a T last week for a pre-game dunk. He is noted for calling Ts and so it was worth a good laugh for all of us that he had one before his first game of the year even started. He correctly charged it to the player and the team foul total, but didn't assess it indirectly to the coach and seatbelt him as an effort to show some compassion. He knew the correct rule, though.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Seatbelting a head coach for a dunk in warm-ups has to be one of the most ridiculous rules I know. Why is this singular act by a player used to penalize the coach and the whole team, where other acts are charged to the player only? It is a stupid thing for a player to do, but once it has happened, it should be a T and play the game.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Why is this singular act by a player used to penalize the coach and the whole team, where other acts are charged to the player only?
Because the dunker is not a player! He is bench personnel until the game starts.

Chuck
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Seatbelting a head coach for a dunk in warm-ups has to be one of the most ridiculous rules I know. Why is this singular act by a player used to penalize the coach and the whole team, where other acts are charged to the player only? It is a stupid thing for a player to do, but once it has happened, it should be a T and play the game.
I disagree. It's an indirect T on the coach because at that point, all team members are bench personnel. It's the coach's responsibility to insure that the players aren't dunking during warm-ups. I bet if his butt has to sit down for a game or two because of this, he'll create a little more discipline on the team.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Question Administration

How do you all administer a pregame dunking violation?

Do you blow your whistle and give the big T sign....

or do you causually walkover to the coach/table and inform the scorer personnel and the coach "For pregame dunking, we will begin the game with a Technical Foul against Team A. Team B will shoot two and have a midcourt throw-in. Team A will get the possesion arrow. The Technical Foul counts toward Team A's team fouls (player number ??) and indirectly against Team A's coach."

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Dec 11th, 2002 at 11:46 AM]
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 12:38pm
Administrator

I casually stroll over to the dunker and inform him of the direct technical foul charged to him, then casually stroll over to his coach and inform him of the technical foul by his player and that he has an indirect TF charged to him, and that he must remain seated for the rest of the night, and then I inform the scorer of the TF's and how they are to go into the book.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm sorry, what did he do? I didn't notice -- I happened to be checking #34 for jewelry at that moment. I'll be sure to tell him to stay away from the rim.

Chuck
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Pregame Dunk - A story

Boys V game.

Pregame warmups a kid goes up with a rock the house dunk.

I casually get the kids number and inform the table. I go to the kids coach and tell him we have a "T" on number XX for dunking, that's indirect to you and you are to remain seated for this game.

Coach is incredulous, mouth wide open and asks me "What number?!?" I tell him and he says, "Are you sure, that kid can't jump enough to dunk" I repeat the number and walk away.

Game is in the middle of the fourth quarter, team that got pregame T is getting blown out and the kid I T'd steals the ball near midcourt. The kid dribbles down alone and throws down a 360 dunk! It was pretty!

As I run back by the coach, he has this big dumb grin on his face. I'm kind of giving him "the look", he says "must have been working on his vertical lately"

Yeah, right coach......
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know nothing but was told

at camp this summer to follow Mr. Chuck Elias' motto. You might walk over and say "gee you really got some air on that last dunk but you might want to save some of those hops for the game since it's a technical foul to dunk during pre-game".

It seems like the board has been pretty consistent in calling this dunk as an automatic T. Let me also say though that if a player dunked and everyone in the house noticed and hooted/hollered, I'd T him.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 02:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by mdray
girls varsity game -- checking the book at the 12 minute mark, one of the starters is listed as # 8;
I did a rec tournament last weekend and one of the teams had jersey numbers in the 70s and 80s. I asked the coach what the heck was going on and he said that the president of their rec league ordered uniforms for all 95 players in the league (all grade levels) and just had them numbered from 1 to 95!

I asked him how this person ever was elected or appointed president of their league if they knew that little about basketball.

He replied, "I don't know. You'll have to ask her."

(Sorry, Juulie - I just couldn't resist)
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by mdray
girls varsity game -- checking the book at the 12 minute mark, one of the starters is listed as # 8;
I did a rec tournament last weekend and one of the teams had jersey numbers in the 70s and 80s.
Just a small aside to this thread and knowing your involvement with a youth league – For the past several years we have been fielding around 200 +/- house rec teams in our winter program. Each number on a jersey cost us $1. We limit a team to no more than 8 players. (We have had some teams with a 9th “special” player) Let’s just say 8, so we had to pay an extra $2 per jersey for 600 jerseys. This is an extra $1200 (3X200X$2) a year out of our operating budget. We have changed our ordering so we now have the numbers 6, 7, and 8.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I guess that I just regard all T's on player to be a result of bad judgment by players. Players who routinely exercise bad judgment are a reflection of a lack of team discipline and will get more Ts. But most cases of bad player discipline do not result in a coach being seatbelted.

The pregame dunk can be a one-time action, the coach has no opportunity to correct it that day, and he is already seatbelted. If a player acts up on the bench, it is not an automatic T and the head coach has the ability to correct it (like saying shut up - I'll deal with the ref!). In the dunking case, the coach could tell the player he is benched for the night 1 second after he dunks, but with that one dunk the coach is already seatbelted for the night.

I understand the bench personnel thing - but the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime, IMO.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 03:40pm
Esteemed Participant

The local middle schools here in my area have a "no-cut" policy for athletics...consequently, they always have 5 or more teams at each grade level (one is considered "varsity"), and so have kids out there with numbers like 114, or 120...that's always fun...and they actually have a waiver from the State saying they can...