Thread: Technical Fouls
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Mo,

Some states (including Massachusetts, where I live) use a coaching box for HS games. The head coaches are allowed to stand and coach their teams within this 6' or 14' area.

However, (1) in states that do not allow a coaching box, or (2) after a coach has received a direct or indirect technical foul, the head coach is not allowed to stand except under very specific circumstances. This is what most us refer to as being "seat belted". For a complete list of when a head coach may stand during the game, see rule 10-5, articles 1 and 2.

Rising to coach his team while "seat belted" is not grounds to eject the head coach. It can result in a technical foul, but usually will simply generate a stern reminder to find a chair.

In case you're unfamiliar with "direct" and "indirect" technical fouls, very briefly:

Direct: a direct technical foul is one that is charged to the coach himself, usually for unsportsmanlike behavior or for berating an official. If a coach gets 2 of these, he is ejected.

Indirect: an indirect technical foul is charged to the head coach when a member of his bench personnel is charged with a technical foul. An indirect technical does not carry any penalty of its own, but 3 indirect technicals (or 2 indirects plus 1 direct) charged to the head coach result in the coach's ejection. This happens when an assistant coach swears at the official, or when a bench warmer leaves the bench area during a fight, among other situations.

I hope that is clear. After re-reading it, I'm not so sure.

Chuck