The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 20, 2000, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Hello!
I'm not a ref. I'm just a kid, who is playing basketball a lot
Can you please tell me how far free throw, and 3 pt lines are in highschool/college/nba basketball?
Thanks in advance!
Old Thu Apr 20, 2000, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

High school and college are the same:

Free throw line's farthest edge = 15 feet from the front face of the backboard.

3-point line farthest edge = 19 feet 9 inches from the center of the basket (starting on the court below the hoop, of course).

I don't know about NBA distances, but assume the free-throw line is the same as high school and college.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2000, 04:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Check the NBA website for your info at nba.com

Rules and interpretations are also there.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2000, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

I looked on nba.com before, but didn't find anything
I've looked in encarta encyclopedia, and it said that ft line is 16 feet for everything. Is that correct?
Also, it says 3 pt line is 22 feet, but my friends say it has been moved to 23. Which one is it?
Old Fri Apr 21, 2000, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Question

ilya, how old are you and what level do you play? And, do you understand what we mean by,"a player can fumble, dribble, fumble, But, a player can not dribble, fumble, dribble"?

[This message has been edited by Bart Tyson (edited April 21, 2000).]
Old Sat Apr 22, 2000, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Smile

ilya, Todd is correct with his dimensions. Here is a link to the National Federation and NBA rules web site. NF is the dimensions for a High School court. There are some minor differences for collage but none you should be concerned about.
http://www.nfhs.org/rules-basketball.htm#diagram
http://www.nba.com/basics/rules/
Old Sat Apr 22, 2000, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

I'm 14 and playing just outdoor, but everyday at school also. We have highschool dimensions at school.

And no, i don't understand what you mean by that Why?
Old Sat Apr 22, 2000, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

ilya, I had thought you might be young. If you play B-Ball, it can help your game to know the rules, so you know what you can and can't do. Most young kids don't understand this type of play. Learn what Fumble, dribble, fumble, and dribble, fumble, dribble mean. Continue to ask ?'s on this board to help your game. Good luck.
Old Sun Apr 23, 2000, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

I know a lot of rules, already
But what does fumble,drible,fumble,drible mean?
Thanks for all your help!
Old Mon Apr 24, 2000, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Typically you'll see this when a player tries to receive a pass, he will not make a clean catch. He fumbles the ball trying to catch it, the ball hits his hands then the ball drops to the floor and he picks it up. However, this is not restricted to the player fumbling trying to catch the ball. He may catch the ball and for some reason while holding the ball all of sudden he fumbles the ball(judgement call be the official) and he picks it up. Even if the ball bounces several feet away he can go get it. So far everything above is the FUMBLE. Now he can dribble. He dribbles, then tries to pick up his dribble, touches the ball with both hands(does not gain possition) and fumbles the ball. Even if the ball bounces away he can go get it. This is fumble, dribble, fumble. All of the above is legal. Now, dribble, fumble, dribble(illegal). Just like the beginning he can fumble, dribble, fumble and gain possition. Now he fumbles again, if he is the first to touch the ball again, this is a violation. And so you have Dribble, fumble, dribble. Most of the time I see kids fumble the ball trying the catch a pass and think they can't dribble.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2000, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Oh, i knew that!
I just didn't understand what you were talking about first
Old Mon Apr 24, 2000, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Great, now ask ?'s on game situations that your not sure. We like to help you and ourselves.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2000, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Good to know this - a new one for me. I knew fumble dribble was ok, but not fumble dribble fumble. The former is sometimes missed in our games (I guess it is a judgment call, but sometimes ya gotta wonder if they know this one), but I always see the latter called a double dribble. I will look to see if I notice any of these second fumbles allowed. It is probably easier to go by the rule that a dribbling player has control and, after the dribble is established, any contact with the floor is a dribble.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2000, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the help all you guys!
You have been extremely helpful!!
Now, i have a question.. We often play outside, and some of my friends call this a travel, others don't.
I have the ball. Dribble accross the baseline, do a spin, but instead of spinning on one leg, i step from one to another during the spin and then shoot. Is that really a travel? I think it's not, since it's just two steps, but i'm not sure.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2000, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Ever see this one Coach?

The ball gets dumped down to A1 on the post. A1 takes two dribbles. Picks up his/her dribble and while in the process loses control (fumbles). While the ball has not yet touched the floor. A1 picks up and returns to the floor what was their pivot foot. Before the ball ever touches the floor, A1 regains control and scores.

Everyone screams walk!

Dribble, Fumble, Recover. Legal.