The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty Rogers
Ralph: You bring up some good questions and observations regarding the differences in mechanics. Although some of the signals and procedures may be "sharp looking," or make more sense compared to others, it is important to use ONLY the correct ones. I mean the correct ones for the game you are officiating, whether it be HS, or college men or women. If a ref is working a NFHS game, he should follow their official's manual for signals, etc. Evaluators will not be impressed by college mechanics being used in a HS game.

NFHS referees should be able to work in any other state, with any other NFHS official, and be on the exact same page, mechanics-wise. As Chuck stated, some mechanics, or lack of mechanics, become customary in different regions. This is only because they choose or decide to "do their own thing," and ignore correct procedure.

Thanks Marty, I do understand that NFHS officials must use their mechanics only. I was just wondering how college mechanics varied from us and from each other. I am receiving some really interesting info in this thread, thanks, Ralph.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Couple of random thoughts I'd like to just throw out for the discussion:

(1) Women's NCAA is very similar to pro because many officials work WNBA and college - because of the stagger of the seasons and because (I believe) WNBA officials are not full time employees. Men's officials can't really do that.

(2) The women's 'table-side' mechanic definately threw me off last year when I saw it. I asked one of the officials after a game, and he said it was an experiment. I do think it definately helps out with communication.

(3) I'm pretty sure that, when the NCAA changed to the team control rule, they forgot to put in a signal (anyone have this year's book?) and so the men started using the PC signal whereas the women went with the fist. The fist takes a bit more getting used to, especially on drives to the basket with a shot. Often times, the ball will go in, and the fist will go down - making me think "good basket" instead of "no basket; team control foul."
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
(3) I'm pretty sure that, when the NCAA changed to the team control rule, they forgot to put in a signal (anyone have this year's book?)
The signals (both; different) are in the book.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
(3) I'm pretty sure that, when the NCAA changed to the team control rule, they forgot to put in a signal (anyone have this year's book?) and so the men started using the PC signal whereas the women went with the fist.
I think that the men's use of the PC signal for a team control foul was intentional. I'm also pretty sure that the rulebook shows the PC signal and lists as both PC and TC signal. (My book is packed right now.) So I don't think they "forgot" about a signal. I think "they" intentionally stayed away from the fist-punch signal b/c the men's committee likes to keep its mechanics distinct from the pro game, for whatever reason.

The fist punch shouldn't be confusing, b/c the first motion should be to wipe off the shot. "No shot! Offense!" Wave, punch.

Nice to see you squeeze in a little basketball between finals, Mark

Chuck
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
In the women's game, fouls called in the backcourt may require a "slide" or a bump-and-run, but if no free throws are to be shot, then there are no long switches... what this person may have seen is a foul called by the C opposite the table in backcourt - we know the new T (old L) will handle the inbound pass on the opposite sideline, which means the old C - after reporting the foul - will "slide down to become the new L...maybe that is where the confusion is coming in...
Rocky, What you have just described is exactly the HS mechanic. What I saw in a couple of women's college games was the C, opposite table, call the foul and since possession changed and went the other way, we are now in the backcourt. Still the calling official went table side, thus staying C, while the old T switched to the opposite side and became the new lead. As you stated the new T (old L) went opposite and handled the throw-in.
I have seen this a few times. I have never seen them switch when the old L called the foul though. Only the two officials up top.
From your explanation, it sounds like they are goofing and should be doing it the same as NFHS.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Dang! Bob beat me to it by two lousy minutes!!!!

Chuck
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 10:27am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Rocky, What you have just described is exactly the HS mechanic. What I saw in a couple of women's college games was the C, opposite table, call the foul and since possession changed and went the other way, we are now in the backcourt. Still the calling official went table side, thus staying C, while the old T switched to the opposite side and became the new lead. As you stated the new T (old L) went opposite and handled the throw-in.
I have seen this a few times. I have never seen them switch when the old L called the foul though. Only the two officials up top.
From your explanation, it sounds like they are goofing and should be doing it the same as NFHS.
Hmmm...sounds like they are goofing it up...not sure why they are long-switching in this situation...like I said, I'm just gonna slide down the court and become the new L...
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 11:22am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Hmmm...sounds like they are goofing it up...not sure why they are long-switching in this situation...like I said, I'm just gonna slide down the court and become the new L...
dj,
One guy goofing up and switching, early in the season, forces another guy to fill in for him.
It looks like everyone is goofy, but usually it's just one guy with a brain cramp.
mick