The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   T-Worthy? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/64896-t-worthy.html)

just another ref Mon Mar 14, 2011 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 740035)

You need to get out more often. You think every kid is put into detention when they use "foul" language in all school districts or levels?

Kid at your neighborhood high school drops his book on the floor. Says "Oh, f***!" loud enough for the teacher to hear, and nothing happens?

And you think this is a good idea?

I have no further questions.

JRutledge Mon Mar 14, 2011 08:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 740042)
You do realize that they also may work for the same people you do? You do realize also that they may be the people you work for?

Do you think I would likely know who those you are talking about? There are only so many people here from my area that you could be talking about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 740042)
And you know I won't name names on this web site ever.

I give you more credit than that or really did not expect you to give a name. But I think I am aware of who works for whom and why they work for them as it relates to this area. It is not like it is a secret. And if some of those worked where I did and had no place stay that is not a hotel, they would be crazy. ;)

Peace

Terrapins Fan Mon Mar 14, 2011 08:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 739925)
Was he saying because he missed the shot or because he thought he got fouled?

I still say I would have to be there. I could see passing on this or calling a T depending on the context or other actions.

Also who cares what the coach wants. The coach would go crazy if you called a T on his player for something you could not explain, so I tend to not care what they have to say about any T.

Peace

Doesn't matter to me F Bomb is automatic for me.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Mar 14, 2011 09:02pm

I have only read the first page of post and feel that I cannot wait to jump into the fray.

There is no context to examine in the OP. This is a no brainer and is definitely what the recent NFHS POE's have addressed.

Ladies and germs (I mean gentlemen) I have been on construction sites all of my adult life and even before that. I have heard every profane word that one can think of and:

a) If you have no hair, I can make you grow it;
b) If you have hair, I can make it fall out;
c) If your hair is straight, I can curl it; and
d) If you hair is curly, I can straighten it.

I think you get my drift. And the OP is a TF every time. There is no excuse not to charge A1 with a TF.

MTD, Sr.

Adam Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 740028)
I did need more context to give a T, but that does not mean it was not straight forward. It said only the bench heard. That is not enough for me alone. And I also did not say I would not give a T at all, the context was other things will factor in matters to me.

I really do not know why you are trying to convince me what I should do? If you want to call a T, go right ahead and knock yourself out. I want to have more situational awareness before this is a call for me.

Peace

I'm spending too much energy trying to figure out what you're saying to actually try to convince you to do anything. Second, I'd never try to convince you to do anything anyway. What you're doing is working for you, apparently.

constable Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfp (Post 739918)
Similar question to a recent post about T-ing a player who, in frustration with himself, slammed the ball hard to the ground. Most seemed to agree this was not T-worthy since it wasn't directed at an opponent or official.

Similar situation: boys HS varsity playoff semi-final. Early in first half player A1 drives to the basket, gets fouled and the ball circles the rim and eventually falls off. By the time the ball falls to the ground, A1 is now in front of me at C position in front of the B bench. When he sees the shot miss, he drops the F-bomb loud enough for me and the B bench to hear. B coach wants a T. Waddya got?

Profanity regardless of who it is directed at, if it is loud enough for the fans to hear, our bosses around here want a T.

JRutledge Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 740072)
I'm spending too much energy trying to figure out what you're saying to actually try to convince you to do anything. Second, I'd never try to convince you to do anything anyway. What you're doing is working for you, apparently.

Yep!!!

Peace

Maineac Tue Mar 15, 2011 07:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 740043)
And if it's loud enough to be heard in the stands? Automatic "T" or judgment?

Yeah, then I'd go with the "T." I know it sounds like splitting hairs, but I guess for me this is a HTBT.

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 15, 2011 07:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maineac (Post 740180)
Yeah, then I'd go with the "T." I know it sounds like splitting hairs, but I guess for me this is a HTBT.

I think it's more a case of different circumstances than splitting hairs.

Adam Tue Mar 15, 2011 08:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 740076)
Yep!!!

Peace

I should add, what you're saying could get a lot of officials in trouble; apparently even in your area.

JRutledge Tue Mar 15, 2011 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 740193)
I should add, what you're saying could get a lot of officials in trouble; apparently even in your area.

Let me say this. We do not work here for one guy and one association and that assigns 50 schools. We could work 10 or 12 different conferences where each conference might be assigned by a different person. And if I work for one suburban conference, I might not work another suburban or city conference. So there are assignors if that was my explanation for giving a T, that might not be accepted very well if that was the first incident and only the "bench" heard the words. These often are handled by with a "talk to" and then if it happens again it might get a T, but not in the context that I read this. Some assignors would support you; others would want to know why you did not handle the incident the first way. So I do not know where you think I would get in trouble for this?

Peace

Adam Tue Mar 15, 2011 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 740260)
Let me say this. We do not work here for one guy and one association and that assigns 50 schools. We could work 10 or 12 different conferences where each conference might be assigned by a different person. And if I work for one suburban conference, I might not work another suburban or city conference. So there are assignors if that was my explanation for giving a T, that might not be accepted very well if that was the first incident and only the "bench" heard the words. These often are handled by with a "talk to" and then if it happens again it might get a T, but not in the context that I read this. Some assignors would support you; others would want to know why you did not handle the incident the first way. So I do not know where you think I would get in trouble for this?

Peace

Where did I say you'd get in trouble? Frankly, I'm assuming you've managed to work yourself into a high enough stature that you probably wouldn't get questioned too hard either way on an issue like this. Unless, perhaps, you completely ignored it and didn't even address it.

I said other officials could possibly get in trouble for following your advice; based on JR's (whose word I trust) comments that some assigners in your area would want this called.

Indianaref Tue Mar 15, 2011 03:41pm

Automatic T for me. Help the kid learn self control, I'm sure his mother would want you to give him a T.

JRutledge Tue Mar 15, 2011 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 740263)
Where did I say you'd get in trouble? Frankly, I'm assuming you've managed to work yourself into a high enough stature that you probably wouldn't get questioned too hard either way on an issue like this. Unless, perhaps, you completely ignored it and didn't even address it.

All of us are one call away from being back to where we once were. And not giving a T does not mean it will not be addressed. It just will not be addressed with a T automatically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 740263)
I said other officials could possibly get in trouble for following your advice; based on JR's (whose word I trust) comments that some assigners in your area would want this called.

I did not give anyone advice. I told you and everyone what I was going to do or not do. And said where I work that might not be the best avenue to say this is an "automatic" T.

Peace

Tio Tue Mar 15, 2011 06:20pm

I work in a conference where they tell us profanity = T. I work in other conferences which tell us to manage the situation as we see fit.

In a HS game, I would probably call a T.